Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Easy baby shower decorations and a gift to boot

janfeb09 004
Recently I hosted a baby shower for my friend Shannon who is expecting her first baby girl VERY SOON. 

She has 4 boys and this being her first girl, I really felt it should be pink and very girlie so there might possibly have been a pink overload.....oh no, I'm sorry that's not possible! 

There were about 70 people at the shower (thankfully not at my home...they certainly would NOT have fit) so I had to come up with several table decorations, but I wanted them to be useful so I decided to make mini diaper cakes for the tables and a big one for the cake table. I decided on pink and brown polka dots and I think they turned out super cute. 

I'm not going to go into the details on how to make a cake unless people want to know how I did it. Here's one of the mini cakes
janfeb09 008

They are very easy and you can find a good tutorial here

I really enjoy being crafty, but I like the stuff I do to be very useful not just stuff to sit around and collect dust. I would rather spend money on diapers and a little ribbon & flowers that can then be on sweet baby cheeks than on candles or something I might not use again. 

I really like how they turned out. Simple easy shower decorations that the mom can actually use makes everyone happy. 

For more great ideas visit Kimba's Diy Day

***** Click here to see more homemade baby shower decorations*****

8 comments:

  1. I love the diaper cakes. Hannah and I took them all apart except for one small one. It's on Anneliese's dresser. We took all the ribbons and pink flowers and made a bouquet and it's sitting on her dresser next to the diaper cake. It's beautiful and full of great memories! It was the perfect shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful! The shower looks really nice, too. Congrats to your friend!! I have 3 boys and a girl (she's 15 months). Enjoy the pink! I am lovin' it!!

    My latest post: WFMW: Free Magazines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are too cute and what fun colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't diaper cakes the best? Yours looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got one of those for my first son but the gal filled it (stuffed every diaper) with gift items (teething rings and baby toys etc)
    So Cute
    I started a new KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT party and I bet you have some things to put in the party-it's every Monday. I hope you come over and become a follower and subscribe and I will do the same.
    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm hosting a baby shower in a few weeks and I'm totally going to copy you ;)

    I have a poll up on my blog about my BIGGEST decor dilemma. Come on over and vote, I need all the help I can get!

    http://imnomartha.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-poll-ever-to-paint-or-not-to.html

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!