Monday, December 1, 2008

Chipotle BBQ chicken

Our family absolutely loves this recipe and requests it often. I normally make a double batch and freeze it (before cooking). 

It is actually better if you can make it ahead of time and let it sit in the bbq sauce to tenderize. I adapted it from a recipe I found in a freezer cookbook. Yum-o! 

About 2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts 
1 bottle smoky bbq sauce (I just use Kraft hickory smoke) 
1 big can chunk pineapple 
1 red/orange/yellow pepper, chopped 
1 onion, chopped 
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (you can use less or more to your liking) Just buy a little can and the rest will keep a very long time in the frigde. 

Throw all this in a big gallon size ziploc bag and mix all around. Either keep in refrigerator for a few hours to overnight if you will be cooking soon or put it in the freezer (lay flat for easy storage and easy thawing). 

When it's time to cook this recipe is pretty versatile. You can either put it in a crockpot on low for about 8 hours or place in a dutch oven or other heavy pot with lid and cook on stove top on med-low for about 1 hour. Another option is to stick it in a dutch oven (covered) or other baking dish (covered) and place it in the oven at about 350 degrees for about an hour. 

All methods work equally well, but be careful not to overcook it in a crockpot and dry it out (especially when serving it to company, not that I have experienced this.... I'm just sayin')  

Real specific directions......I know, but try it because you'll love it. It's really good served with macaroni and cheese, the sauces just really go together. 

Oh......I can't wait 'till Thursday. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

Check out more kitchen ideas at Tempt my Tummy Tuesday & Kitchen Tip Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. I think this will go on my menu this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! Seriously, between you and Jenny...our poor computer doesn't have a chance against my droolage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delish. Chipotles are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great and very tasty. Just wanted you to know the Mr. Linky had a meltdown. I am re-posting everyone's links, for TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I was going to have this tonight, but now we are going to a friends for dinner, so I just put it in the freezer. I can't wait to eat it. Maybe on Sunday. mmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisa,
    Hi! I love this blog! I bought the stuff to try this chicken and I totally missed the pineapple. Yikes. I had a question...when it's done do you shred it and put it back in the sauce or eat them as whole breasts? Also, do you ever eat it on a sandwich or salad?

    Thanks a lot!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy- It's not a huge deal to not have the pineapple. It really just adds a bit of sweetness to counter the heat of the chipotle. I have even used a small can of crushed pineapple instead of the chunk pineapple.

    We generally leave the chicken breasts whole the night I cook it, but then the leftovers make a great shredded chicken sandwich. We have also used the leftovers to make bbq chicken quesadillas. yum!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!