Monday, December 7, 2009

Canvas drop cloth Christmas tree skirt

I've been working on changing some of my Christmas decorations around and using more bright colors as opposed to the darker jewel tones I've used in the past. I have 2 main things on my list that need changing. One is our stockings and the other is the tree skirt. Both are dark and just not what I want anymore so in an effort to not really spend any money, but have something new I thought I would make do with what I have.

Not too long ago I made some new curtains for our sliding glass door. I made them out of canvas drop cloths and a table cloth after having seen these ones. I love them!

DSCF7903


I had some leftover fabric so I figured why not use it for the tree skirt. This is a very abbreviated tutorial on how I did it. I'm sure it's not all seamstressy correct or anything, but I like how it turned out.

DSCF7876

Here is a very loose tutorial of how I did it. 

I first just laid out my canvas drop cloth and folded it into  fourths making a big square with the center of my skirt being in the corner.

DSCF7836

I pinned down a string in the corner and decided how wide I wanted my skirt to be and using a pen attached to the end of the string drew my arch from one side to the other to make my circle. I then cut it out and also made a small arch cut in the center corner for my tree trunk. I spread it all out and cut a break in the circle just like this.

DSCF7843

next you will need to decide how wide you want your ruffle to be. Mine is about 3 inched wide so I took a yard of fabric and with selvages together I folded it in half and then in half again.

DSCF7846

 I used my rotary cutter and cutting mat for measuring, but it could certainly be done otherwise. I cut 5  7" strips of fabric {3" doubled + 1/2" seam allowance on each side}. The amount of ruffle you need will depend on how big you want your skirt to be.

I then sewed the short ends of each 7" strip together with right sides together to make one very long strip of 7" wide fabric. Iron open the seams and fold the strip in half with wrong sides together. Stitch along the raw edge using a 1/4" seam allowance and use a baste stitch that can be gathered.

DSCF7853

On my machine, I put the tension all the way as high as it will go and the stitch length on 4 to stitch the piece together and make a ruffle as it stitches. The tension kind of ruffles it as I go so there is less gathering involved. That probably doesn't make any sense...does it? Sorry, I'm not sure how else to explain it.  {here is a great tutorial on hand gathering}

DSCF7857

Next I pinned the ruffle to the edge of the canvas with the ruffle facing in.

DSCF7858
  
 Stitch along the edge using a 1/2" seam allowance.

DSCF7860

Once the ruffle is stitched in place turn over and iron the raw edges to the center of the skirt.

DSCF7865

On the top of the skirt, top stitch the raw edges down along the edge of the canvas. 

DSCF7868

I finished my skirt off with some double wide bias tape around the center and the opening.

DSCF7884

I am super happy with how it turned out. Now I'm off to make those stockings. I'll share them when I get done.



Go check out Metamorphosis Monday, the DIY Showoff, Toot your Horn Tuesday, Tackle it TuesdayKimba's DIY day, Today's creative blog, It's so very Cheri Holiday , and Somewhat Simple for more crafty ideas.

30 comments:

  1. So, so cute! I love the red ruffle around it! :) I am going to try those curtains too... I think.;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bOTH the drapes and tree skirt are so cute! I haven't tried drop cloths yet, but that day is coming. (especially when I see projects like yours.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree skirt looks great. I love the red trim! Thanks for the tutorial...I would like to try to make this. ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I have been meaning to make a burlap tree skirt with a black and tan plaid ruffle, but haven't had time. I love the red polka dot ruffle on yours. So cute!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Alisa,
    Loved your tree skirt, so cute!
    You did a great job.
    Your curtains were very pretty as well, another good job. I like to sew at times too.
    I have sewn clothing, but I prefer making simple things for the house.
    I did love sewing for my daughter when she was little cause you could whip an outfit together pretty quickly.
    Come January or Feb. I need to make some valances for my bedroom and bathroom. so gotta get motivated to sew here soon.
    Thanks for coming by this morning,
    good to hear from you. So glad my comments encourage you. Thanks for your nice comments about my
    Christmas decorations. I did the bathroom first this year cause it didn't take a lot of thinking while I was sick! lol
    Have a great day.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by.
    I also LOVE your curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That came out sooooooo cute! Great job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh! Adorable! Can't wait to see the stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, it's soooo cute! Love the touch of red!
    I recently discovered the many uses of drop cloths too.
    thanks for sharing!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these!! They turned out so fabulous!! You have inspired me to get going on some drapes with these. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing it is beautiful. I can't wait to see the stockings. I, too, want new stockings - the kids are claiming they want to keep the tacky jewel toned, sequinny ones - yikes.

    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! So cute and just adds the pop you want to a tree skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so clean and simple-love it!! You tutorial is great...I do not sew well amd I understand it! Thanks!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I envy your sewing skills. I couldn't sew in a circle in my life depended on it - trust me I've tried - not when my life depended on it - but you know what I mean. LOL! Great job though, I love how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea! I've been wanting to make a new tree skirt, and I was thinking of using linen. I have an unopened drop cloth sitting around, maybe I can use it for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great idea. I think I want those drapes, too.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the drop cloth tree skirt-I actually thought of doing one but I wasn't going to add the ruffle.
    Very cute.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're a very creative person. I love how you made that skirt. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Found your tutorial from UCreate- congratulations on being picked for the project of the month:)
    Great job- I love this! We don't have a tree skirt yet so I might have to break out my sewing machine...:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!

    Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

    Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly
    http://www.nancywardcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! I'm adding it to my to do list for this year's holiday crafts.

    What size drop cloth did you use?

    stitch.to.stitch (at) hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!