Thursday, July 15, 2010

Simple reversible car seat strap covers {a tutorial}

IMG_6783 My sweet little niece told me “I need more comfort when I fall asleep in my car seat” {because clearly, all those rolls aren’t quite enough padding}. Ok, well really her mama told me, but I certainly couldn’t turn down such a request so I made her some of these.

IMG_7296These car seat strap covers are completely reversible and they have a bit of padding to make them extra comfy. I made sure to prewash the fabrics so they can be machine washed and air dried with no worries because we all know babies are messy little bundles of sunshine.
 
Most strap covers I’ve seen use bias tape as a binding, but since I can never seem to make that stuff look right, I came up with this simple yet equally cute version. It took me longer to pick out the fabric and cut it than to sew them so this is a great beginner project.

For each strap cover you will need 2 pieces of fabric cut to 6” x 6” and one piece of batting  cut to 6” x 6” {I used a warm and natural batting, but any would work}. So for a set of strap covers you will have 2 batting squares and 4 fabric squares.



IMG_7188_1You will also need about 3” of sew on velcro for each cover. 


I rounded the corners of my squares by tracing a cup and cut all 3 pieces at one time so they were identical.  You don’t have to make the corners rounded, it’s your choice.

IMG_7199_1
You will lay down your batting first, the first piece of fabric right side up and the second one right side down.

IMG_7206_1 Pin together and sew all the way around using a 1/4” seam allowance leaving a 3 inch opening on one side so you can turn it right side out.   My double pins denote my starting and stopping points.

IMG_7214_1Clip each corner if using rounded corners or trim the tip off each corner if using a square corner, but make sure not to cut into your stitching.

IMG_7224_1 Turn right side out, putting the batting to the middle. Push each corner out nicely and iron the entire piece. Iron each opening to the inside as shown above.

IMG_7234_1 Using a 1/4” seam allowance top stitch all the way around each piece.

IMG_7250_1 Now cut 2 pieces of velcro each about 1.5” long.  Place them as shown above and stitch in place using a 1/4” seam allowance. The fuzzy side of the velcro pieces will go on one side of the cover and the loop side of the velcro will go on the opposite side and end of the cover.

IMG_7262_1 Now make one more and you have a set of reversible car seat strap covers to keep your baby’s noggin all comfy cozy in his/her car seat.

These measurements are approximate. Please measure the length of strap between the top of the strap and where the chest clip sits on the child’s chest {at arm pit height}. It is very important that these strap covers not push the chest clip to an unsafe level. Please adjust the length of the strap covers accordingly.

Now go make some babies a little more comfy.

this post is linked up to: Everything Etsy, Show off your stuff , Somewhat Simple, Sew much Ado, Fabric Fun Thursday, Get your craft on Thursday, Hodgepodge Friday, Fingerprints on the fridge, Fun to craft, Frugalicious Friday, Show and share day, weekend wrap-up, Saturday Soiree 

31 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love that they are removeable too. The ones that came on my boys carseats are really hard to remove, which makes them really hard to wash too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I remember when kids were small how uncomfortable they looked, asleep in their carseats. Which I had thought of these back then! I'm visiting with it's fun to craft, I ope you visit me too! http://www.amaskellantics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought some of these when Nathan was little but yours are much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, your niece is darling. These look easy to make and comfy. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Fabric Fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them and love that they are reversible...I think I have a weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. um, fabulous! I might need to make these now. Would you be interested in being a guest on my blog? I like to feature a different blog each Tuesday, and would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. Love the picture of your niece. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are lovely. I might just make some for my new nephew. My two are 7 and 11 so are a bit big now for car seats. My how the years fly. Oh course when they were small I never had time to do these fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are adorable =)
    I am defiantly making some today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are adorable. your tutorial is so easy to follow & understand. thanks for sharing how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you kidding? This is my task for next week! I wasn't even looking for a tutorial, just going to wing it and then I came across this. I love how easy these are. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great tutorial...
    I am working on some homemade gifts for my friend's baby shower coming up and now I am totally going to add this in!!!! :)
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this tutorial. I made 2 sets with some leftover fabric. I will be making many more!!
    I blogged about it here:
    http://jbeedelightful.blogspot.com/2011/01/sewing-for-my-nephew-tryouts.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial!! All I could find were the ones with the bias tape which I didn't want.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the tutorial. It was just what I was looking for and I posted about it on my blog. http://hillhousehandmade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your tutorial was a great blessing.
    I made for my little princess today and they were beautiful.
    God bless.

    Shalom,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made an awesome baby care package for a good friend who just had a little baby girl. I included an item from your tutorial. If you want to check it out, it's on my blog post: http://www.domesticacademic.com/2012/06/baby-care-package-pinterest-cornucopia.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the simple tutorial! I just made my son a pair and it gave me an excuse to use my snap pliers again. Also, instead of battling I just cut up an old pair of fleece pajamas for one side and a cute cotton print from an old pillowcase for the other. Love that I didn't even have to go to the fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for this! Been looking to buy some for a while, but thought I'd check for a tutorial. I had everything already and it was so quick and easy! Love that they match the blanket i sewed for him, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice sharing here. This tutorial is very helpful for parents to learn creating car seat strep covers. It is very nice and useful for baby to seat and sleep comfortably in car sear during traveling.

    baby car seat

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this tutorial! This was my very first sewing project and your instructions were super easy to follow (especially since I don't understand half of the sewing terminology yet). I was able to make a pair for my son's umbrella stroller for less than half of what it would have cost to buy them at the store! My son loves them! I purposefully bought a 5 point harness because he likes to lean forward but the shoulder straps would rub his neck. Now I can use them without him hurting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did a google image search for strap covers and your baby's face popped up. She is soooo gorgeous! I have a 4 month old and I just love those double chins...lol Had to stop and say something!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm due in 3 weeks and can't wait to try these out! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for your great tutorial! Made these yesterday - my first ever sewing machine project! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!