Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ruffled Checkbook Cover Tutorial

IMG_6080-1 Here’s the tutorial I promised yesterday. I sure hope it makes sense. It’s really a pretty easy and quick project. Perfect for a beginner or maybe even a quick diy gift.



IMG_6011First off you will need 2 pieces of fabric that measure 7” x 13” and a strip of fabric that is approximately 1.5”  x 12” for your ruffle.
IMG_6017Make sure all your pieces are pressed flat. The first thing we will do is make your ruffle. Take your strip of fabric and using a serge stitch or a small zig zag stitch {I use a button hole stitch set on a longer length} finish the two long edges of your ruffle strip.  IMG_6026Next you will make your ruffle. Using a long stitch and high tension make a baste stitch down the middle of your strip of fabric leaving long threads on each end {do NOT back stitch at either end}. You don’t have to use high tension, but it does some of the work for you and I’m all about less work.

  IMG_6031Begin by pulling the top thread on one end and moving the fabric down the thread to create your ruffle. I do half from one end and then use the top thread on the other end and pull it to ruffle up the other half. You want to gather it up to a width of 7”.IMG_6036 Grab your fabric for the outside of your cover. Measure in 4.5” from one of the short ends and pin your ruffle to the main fabric. IMG_6040 Using a regular stitch, sew your ruffle to your main fabric straight down the middle.  IMG_6044 Here is what it should look like at this point.IMG_6046With your main outside fabric laying right side up, lay your contrast fabric right side down with the ruffle sandwiched in between. Pin together.

IMG_6047 Leave a 4” opening on the long side at the opposite end from the ruffle.  Mine is marked with double pins.  Sew around the outside with a 1/4'” seam allowance {I use the edge of my presser foot} making sure to keep it even all the way around.IMG_6050Clip the corners and turn right side out. IMG_6052 Press….this is mine before I pressed itIMG_6055 Press the opening edges in and they will get sewn shut in the next step.IMG_6058 Fold your cover in half making a crease down the middle. Lay your cover with the contrast fabric up. Fold the two ends towards the middle leaving a 1/2” space between the center crease and the folded piece. You should have 1” of the contrast fabric showing in the middle. Pin in place.IMG_6062Using a 1/8” seam allowance topstitch down each side of the cover. IMG_6063You want a pretty small seam allowance here in order for your checkbook to actually fit.  
IMG_6080Now, won’t you look all stylish when you have to write a check! 

{Here’s to hoping my pictures make up for any confusing directions.}

This post is linked to: Tutorial Tuesday, Sew much ado, Show and share, Tea Rose home, Whatever goes Wednesday, 733, Hoo’s Got Talent , Somewhat Simple, I made it!  & Tatertots and Jello

Photobucket

28 comments:

  1. You're so awesome! I love the ruffles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I was just wondering today what to do for my mom's birthday in a couple of weeks, now I know! Thanks so much :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great and super simple tutorial!

    Found you on Sew Much Ado link party :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quick project I'm adding it to my gift idea list. Thanks for shareing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! Now I want one... guess I should actually get a book for my checks since they are just floating around my purse! Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! I can't wait to make myself one of these!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check you out crafty lady! I am adding this to my to do list! I am so excited to write my checks in style now! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you on Everything Etsy. What a great tutorial. I would love to have a checkbook that stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I'll be making one of these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ruffled checkbook cover - so adorable! I'm glad I found your blog, I'm a new follower. I'd love for you to come see me - I'm giving away 3 super lovely Sam Moon cuff bracelets here:
    http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
    Your blog is lovely! ♥Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this! Would make great Christmas gifts for all the sisters and SIL's! Found you via Creative itch and following you now. WOuld love to have you visit me @ Mommaskindacrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linking back to you in tomorrows post!
    mommaskindacrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made my checkbook cover tonight using your tutorial. Love it! I'm a beginner sewer and was able to do it. Hopefully, I can post pics on my blog tomorrow. It's a little late to try to get decent pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute checkbook cover!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-ruffled-checkbook-cover/2010/08/04/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great tutorial! You can see mine here:
    http://733blog.blogspot.com/2010/08/cover-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very cute and thanks for the thoughtful and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,, I've just finished my 3rd checkbook cover using your tutorial.. here is the link if you'd like to stop by and have a look.. Thanks for the tut.

    http://countryborn-n-bred.blogspot.com/2010/08/check-it-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. DARLING! I can not wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for this - i love it.. finished my first one tonight. had a bit of trouble hemming that close to the edge, but i'm a beginner so i'm prob not doing something right.. wrong foot maybe?! either way cant wait to try another. any tips would be appreciated~ thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made two today. If you'd like to see them, you can go to www.sew-whats-new.com and look in the photo gallery.
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project! I loved making it! I even added a little elastic to one end for a writing utensil and inserted a small piece of cardboard into the sleeve opening to add a bit of firmness. I will definitely try to remember this for future gifts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. One tip that you may or may not know--if you cut your fabric on the diagonal--you will not have to zigzag it--it will not fray. Love all your projects!
    Have you ever made a metal tape measure closure bag? They are fun and easy! Well, the hard part is getting a hold of hubby's tape measure! Haaaahaa! Which I would not do--of course.--Collette

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great!! Just made two in 30 minutes :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Determine if there are checks that haven't cleared the bank. Sort your cancelled checks in check number order, or use the listing of your cleared checks in numerical order shown on your statement.
    order bank checks

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!