Friday, January 22, 2010

An Old Sweater to a Valentine Pillow

I found a cute pink sweater at Savers the other day for $2 and thought surely I could make a little something Valentiney out of it.
IMG_2113
I came up with this cute little "be mine" pillow which now resides in our master bedroom. 

Appropriate? I think so!

It was super easy if you have a sewing machine....here is how I did it.

IMG_2031

This is the sweater I started out with {and still have quite a bit left....that will be another project}.  figure out the size you would like your pillow to be and cut 2 pieces of the sweater making extra room for your seams. Mine is about 15" long and 7" tall {finished size...not counting trim}.

IMG_2038

Print out your lettering of choice {hopefully you won't run out of ink like I did}. I used Franklin Gothic {demi cond} at 250. Use whatever fits your pillow size.
IMG_2044

Cut out your letters and flip them over so they are backwards. Trace each letter onto the papery side of some Wonder Under. Cut each letter out of the Wonder Under {just a approximate cutting is fine..a square or whatever....you'll cut out the letter in a minute}.
IMG_2046

Select your fabric for you letters {I just used some scraps} and iron your letters onto the backside of your fabric. Once they are cooled {unless of course you have fingers of steel...go ahead, do it while it's still hot} Cut out each letter and peel off the back layer of the wonder under {I think this is the hardest part of the whole process...that stuff never wants to separate for me so I have to use a needle to poke between the layers to get it started}.

IMG_2054

On the right side of one of your sweater pieces, lay out your lettering an iron it down.

IMG_2059

I used a button hole stitch to sew around each letter and I used the same color thread for all the letters. I use the button hole stitch because it is skinnier than a regular zig zag stitch. This takes a little patience, but you can do it. Just stay on the edge of the fabric, not on the sweater. Try not to pull the sweater or you will get little puckers in your pillow {that actually sounds kinda cute...but it won't look cute}.

IMG_2060

Mine is far from perfect, but I doubt anyone will be inspecting it. I've never sewn on a sweater before.

IMG_2103

If you want a ribbon trim, just take a length of gross grain ribbon at least 1.5" wide and I ran one edge through my machine using the highest tension and a long stitch so as to give it a little ruffle. Not much, just a little. I then sewed it to the right side of the top {lettered} sweater piece, rounding it at the corners. Trim the excess sweater fabric off the corners.

IMG_2106

Layer your two sweater pieces right sides together and sew all the way around leaving a 2" opening on one of the long edges. Turn right side out, stuff with batting and slip stitch your opening shut.

IMG_2110

Sweet!

Just letting you know, this might not be the last time you see this sweater, I still have a lot of  it left.


this post is linked up to
Motivate me Monday 
Making the World cuter Monday 
Kimba's DIY Day 
Beyond the Picket fence's under $100 party 
Valentine Link Party@ Craftaholics Anonymous

41 comments:

  1. You are so talented! That is a super cute pillow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Reuse, repurpose, reinvent! You did it all. Darling pillow. --Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! Thanks for sharing and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I've seen quilts made out of sweathers. That's really cute too. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my daughter would say, "That is too cute!" What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So adorable - You did a great job! I love the cable knit sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you put it all together. So Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well you are too clever, I would have never thought to use the button hole stitch. Can't wait to try it, I am always fustrated that I can't get zig zag tight enough. You're the best, thanks for sharing.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pillow! I've been in pillow mode too but clearly you are a better sewer than me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! And very creative and resourceful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable and what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I know years ago I used stablizer to give extra support when sewing items on. Haven't seen it in yrs, but haven't looked either. I think it would help though.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alisa,
    What a great idea and what an adorable pillow, you did a lovely job. Please drop by my blog for today the 22nd as I have a surprise for you. If I already told you please forgive my forgetfulness, I can't remember who I told already.
    Bad sign, uh oh!! lol
    Have a great weekend chickie,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pillow is adorable...you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is BEYOND cute! I want to make one for my nieces bedrooms! The cable knit sweater adds good texture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wayyyy cute! I might try my hand at it. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did a great job. I did something similar on a cavas tote but yours looks much better. I never thought to adhere the letters down first. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is adorable. I have been sewing this weekend with chocolate brown fabrics, pinks, hot pinks. Love that color combo. What a great idea to do this. You really did a good job and you did a great job explaining how you did it too! Love it.
    Have a blessed weekend.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. That turned out really pretty! I always forget to look for sweaters when thrifting to make into pillows. And there are so many wonderful ones that I keep seeing on everyone's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that looks SOOOO good! I love the colors and fabric of the letter too. Well done, thanks for linking
    Kaysi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute and clever!!

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute is that! For the last couple of days I've been pondering making pillows out of sweaters...It's nice to see that it works and looks great! Thanks for the link!

    Andy
    Poppies at Play

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great idea - love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super cute!! Now, I have to make one!!

    Mags

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGosh...it's soooo CUTE and SWEET...luv it! Hope you have a FUN
    week!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this and would love for you to link it up at my linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was so inspired by your pillow I not only went out and got a sweater, I also included it on my post of Valentine's inspirations with a link back here... If you want me to remove it, just let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute idea! I need to learn to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alisa,
    Oh my gosh! I LOVE this! Wish I had half your sewing skills! lol Thanks for linking up.
    happy crafting,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Alisa,
    Just wanted to let you know I featured your cute pillow today :)
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sweater pillow is fantastic! I feel like I can never throw away another sweater again! :) Reminds me that I made a "jeans" pillow when I was about 12. I used a section of the pant leg and tied off the ends. I embroidered "Grandpa" on it -it was a Christmas gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is the cutest pillow ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much! Lovely pillow! Also great to see how you did the letters, I always cut mine out of the fabric first and than ironed the vliseline. Your way is so much easier and less cutting.
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sorry forgot to add my e-mail and my very plain blog:
    horstmann_irina@hotmail.co.uk
    http://sewandthecity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!