Monday, November 24, 2008

Countdown with chocolate! (is there really any other way?)

Here is a very easy craft to make with/for your kids to assist in the inevitable countdown to our Savior's birth (I'm sure that is what they are thinking.....ya, sure........presents!!! 

In their defense, they only receive presents at Christmas and Birthdays so it's a big deal). Maybe this will help with the "is it here yet?" that crops up daily. What you will need:
  • A bag of small candy ($2-$3). I chose Hershey kisses because they were wrapped and there was enough for all 3 of my kids in one bag.
  • A roll of cellophane wrap ($1.50). I suppose you could also use cling wrap.
  • Some ribbon. I already had this ribbon (because I am a ribbonaholic, I admit I have a problem) You could just use a cheap little spool of curly ribbon.
  • Scissors
advent 003

I just cut about a 6" wide piece of cellophane off the end of the roll. If you do it this way, you will need 2 off these and you will end up with 2 strands of candy to hang (one with 12, one with 13). Gather your candy in groups of however many kids you have (I'm envision fighting over the color of the wrapper so I chose to do one color per day) and lay in a row on the cellophane lengthwise. 

advent 006

You will then roll the candy up in the cellophane. Tie one longer ribbon in a bow at one end and knot it so you can later hang your candy by this first ribbon. You will then just slide a ribbon under your cellophane and tie off each group of candy.

advent 007

You will make two of these strands of candy if you do it the same way I did. Here is the finished project all curled up on my floor. 

advent 008
  
And here it is hung on my backer's rack. I probably won't keep it here since it's low enough for Josiah to get at it and it probably wouldn't last a day or two there. 

advent 009

Each day you will untie the lowest ribbon on one of the strands and your candy will fall out. yeah! Easy enough and only took about 10 minutes.


This post is linked up to Kimba's DiY and Today's creative blog.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't chocolate the way to every holiday? Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! My daughter loves making paper chains, but this is even better. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! So easy, super cute, and chocolate is always a great way to countdown a holiday. What a fun tackle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, quick and easy. I usually get to out of control on things like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project ~ I think I just might make a couple of these for grankids. I better get started since I'm already a day late!

    Very nice visiting with you!

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!