Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If you want healthy....this isn't it!

When I was growing up we made pull-apart bread for a treat on Saturday mornings occasionally. I have lots of fond memories of that yummy cinnamony buttery bread. We always just took our tubes of refrigerated biscuits, cut them in half, dipped them in butter and then in cinnamon sugar, tossed them in a bundt pan. 

Delicious.....I thought, until Brittney took cooking class in 7th grade and came home with this much better recipe. It's nearly the same, but the extra spices add a ton of extra flavor and I don't think this uses nearly as much butter as we used. 

We also never measured anything, but this does have measurements...how nice! Not a healthy treat by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure is super yummy! Here's how it goes: 

Monkey Bread (why do they call it that?) 
1c. Sugar 
2 tsp. cinnamon 
1/2 tsp nutmeg 
1/4 tsp all spice 
1/4 tsp ginger 
2 cans refrigerated biscuits, each biscuit cut in half = 40 
5 Tbsp butter, melted 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Have melted butter in another bowl. Dip each biscuit half into the butter and then into the sugar mixture. Place biscuits in a greased bundt pan. Pour remaining butter and dry ingredients over the biscuits. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until done in the middle (check it with a knife...if it looks fluffy, it's good). Let it sit and cool for a couple minutes (if you can possibly stand it) and then invert carefully onto a plate. Ta da! Be sure to visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Kitchen Tip Tuesday

6 comments:

  1. What an easy version of cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love monkey bread! Have you ever tried putting a small amount of cream cheese in the center of each rolls? I think it's a Paula Deen recipe. It's also very good! Thanks for posting this. Now I'm craving monkey bread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, monkey bread is yummy. I found this link that has some interesting monkey bread info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why DO they call it monkey bread? Good question. Really, all that matters is that is is yummy, and this recipe looks great. Thanks for coming by and participating in TMTT, this week. Hope you keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see this all the time, but I've never had it. I've got to try it sometime. I know my husband and I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The origin of the term monkey bread is uncertain. Possible etymologies include that the bread resembles the monkey puzzle tree, [2] or the act of several people pulling at the bread is reminiscent of monkey behavior.

    Can't wait to try out this recipe =)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!