Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Not too sweet Banana Oat muffins

These muffins are a delicious take on banana bread without too much sugar. Just the right amount of sweet from the honey and bananas (make sure they are really ripe since they are sweeter that way). 

In case you don't have oat bran on hand you can use regular rolled oats and put them in the food processor and process until very fine and make sure to measure after they are processed, not before. 

I have a recipe I make for banana bread that has coconut, chocolate chips and pecans and it is super yummy. Next time I make these, I'm definitely going to add some coconut and pecans and see how it turns out. 
 Banana Oat muffins 
1.5 cups oat bran 
1 cup flour 
2 tsp. baking powder 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp baking soda 
1 egg, slightly beaten 
3/4 cup mashed ripe banana 
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 cup honey 
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil 
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or raisins 

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray the bottom of either your muffin pan or paper liners. Makes 12 muffins. In a bowl combine dry ingredients and make a well in the center and add the egg, banana, milk, honey and oil. Stir just until moistened (should be lumpy). 
Fold in the chocolate chips or raisins. Spoon into the muffin cups. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Eat a warm one right out of the oven....you won't regret it! 

For more great recipes and kitchen tip ideas visit Kitchen tip Tuesday, Forever Wherever & Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

4 comments:

  1. I made these for lunch today and they were awesome! I didn't have enough bananas, so I only put in 1/2 cup and substituted applesauce for the other 1/4 cup, then omitted the oil. Mmmm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining us for Tasty Tuesday! Anything with chocolate chips vanishes in seconds around here! I have some bananas on our tree that should be ripe in a week or so! Then I have to use them up fast! Thanks for the recipe and your bread one sounds great, too!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe and will be making it, very soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!