Friday, July 3, 2009

Good Pickin's

DSCF5784_edited-1
This was the best year for blueberry pickin' I've seen in several years. The kids and I went on Tuesday morning all nice and early and it was absolutely beautiful out (only about 75° when we left the house). There has been so much rain and sun (mixed together quite nicely...thank you Lord) that the berries were plump and easy to pick
DSCF5771
even a 3 year old could do it.
DSCF5774
or a 9 year old
DSCF5775-1
or even a pesky teenager (who will NEVER smile for a picture) Normally we go very early in the morning and still come home all gross and sweaty, but not this time. It didn't really start to get hot until we were leaving at about noon or so. It was just a delight and since it was so nice I didn't have to beg the kids to keep picking. In fact, Brittney out picked me by about a half pound . Overall, we got about 9lbs of big plump juicy berries.
DSCF5823
What is your favorite way to enjoy fresh blueberries? Are you a purist or do you have something special you like to fancy 'em up with. I prefer mine with a small dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of brown sugar. It sounds a little strange, but you should try it....yummy! I think fresh blueberries definitely qualify as one of the finer things in life, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. I love them in pancakes and muffins. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use the belt and a cut off milk jug - very simular to your method. Works great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, mercy. I am so jealous! As far as I know, there isn't any blueberry pickin' going on where we live. :(

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!