Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Colored Chalkboard Doors {a how to}

Last year I painted and re-decorated my daughter's room for her 14th birthday. I got almost all the way done {which seems very typical for me} and then I never got her closet doors painted. I was just going to paint them white, but it seemed so boring. We thought about just taking the doors off and hanging some bead/ribbon curtain thingys, but decided against it. 

She kept saying that she wanted to use chalkboard paint, but black doors just didn't send the right vibe in a girls tropical themed bedroom.

Low and behold, the other day I came across this little bit of information on how to make your own custom colored chalkboard paint. Awesome!! Leave it to Martha to give me the solution I needed!

DSCF6557

There is a tutorial with the link above, but I think it's lacking some very valuable information so I thought I'd share how I did it.

What you will need:


DSCF6521


  • Flat paint in your choice of color
  • Small box of unsanded grout {about a $1.50-$2 at your big orange or blue home improvement store}
  • A little bit of water
  • Your typical painting supplies including a stirrer {I used a small white foam roller}

How to:


Depending on how much paint you need, you may need more or less, but here's how I measured it out.


1½ Tbsp grout
2 Tbsp water
1 cup of paint 

adjust your amounts accordingly


This first step is crucial if you want smooth paint, not gloppy,  chunky paint. DO NOT mix the grout directly into the paint!



In your paint tray mix the grout with the water and stir until all the grout is dissolved. 

DSCF6514
 
Be ruthless, leave NO lumps ladies! Don't worry about the water thinning out the paint too much, the thickening power of the grout will more than make up for it. 


Next, add your cup of paint and stir, stir and stir some more until all the grout water is completely mixed into the paint. 

DSCF6523

You will notice that the paint immediately begins to thicken up. That's ok, it goes on kinda like mud and this is why I highly recommend using a foam roller, not a brush. It's too thick for a brush...there would be way too many brush marks.



You are ready to paint! You will need two coats of paint and it should dry really well in between coats {I left it overnight}.

Once your second coat is dry, you are ready to be artistic! 

Well, in my case, as artistic as a 7 year old.

FYI- everything I read says you need to condition your surface by rubbing a piece of chalk over the entire surface and then wiping it off. I did not do this and it seems to work just fine.  


Now I just need to go make one of these cute little erasers. 

Go visit 320 Sycamore, or Stories of A to Z for more great chalkboard ideas or other crafty do it yourself ideas at Kimba's DIY day.

 

22 comments:

  1. You ROCK my Chalk!! This couldn't come at a better time. I have been wanting to paint a chalk board in my office for the kids school. I didn't want black either due to the small space looking even smaller with a black wall. I already have extra trim pieces to frame in my space but wanted a lighter color. Now I will just use the green wall color and it will be just right!! By the way, what are you going to do with all that extra grout? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you totally crack me up! I will probably a good portion of it on other small projects for my craft fair projects, but I'd be happy to bring you some to use for your project. See ya tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...that was supposed to be USE a good portion of it. {I should really consider proof reading}

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the tutorial. i tried this (mixed grout directly into paint) and it turned into a gloopy mess that didn't work. maybe i will give it a second go.

    the doors look great

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY WORD! I think this post is my new best friend. Seriously.

    I love it, and I love you for posting it!

    :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're a genius. I have never seen this before. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you for this post! Bookmarking this for sure~thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the great tutorial. pink is way better than black in a girls room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. terrific! I love chalkboard paint, and I love it even better now that the world of colors has been opened to me- fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally love spray paint!!!!!!!!! Never have seen pink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This came out beautiful thanks for sharing how you did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those doors turned out great...you did a fabulous job! I saw a similar idea from Martha Stewart and was wondering how it would turn out. Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great day!
    ~Michelle :)
    (Treasure the Moment)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are truly and awesome lady! This is an awesome idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I meant to say "an" awesome lady. Perhaps I should try proof reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you through Kimba's DIY. What a fantastic project! Seriously! How did I miss this one from Martha. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chalkboard paint. This will be so fun to try! Thanks for the great tuto. !

    ReplyDelete
  16. The door looks amazing! I bet your daughter loves it. Great inspiration for me to quit being chicken about chalkboard paint. I've been hesitant for years. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found you through 320 Sycamore's blog post about chalkboards. Your family is adorable and you are very thrifty and creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Martha's tutorial on this ages and ages ago but I'm glad to read from someone who has actually done it! Great advice! Thanks so much for linking up :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Something good to know for future reference. Also I learned today that they sell colored chalk paint here: http://www.hudsonpaint.com/chalkboard-paint-colors/

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!