Monday, January 31, 2011

Magically Delicious & Nutritious

We make breakfast for dinner every couple weeks or so and I love to make smoothies to kind of round out the meal. Everyone loves them and they feel like a special treat, but really they are super healthy.

We make ours with plain lowfat yogurt, a little bit of apple juice, a little honey and frozen fruit. Yum! You could make them a zillion different ways, but this is how we like them.

Sometimes I like to add some “secret” ingredients to up the nutritional value. I add ground flax seed or some wheat germ or both, but the thing I like to add the most is spinach.

IMG_1613
yep, spinach.
fresh baby spinach leaves.

IMG_1621I like to add a couple hand fulls ~ whatever floats your boat.

If you add some blue or black berries to your smoothie along with the spinach, no one will be the wiser. It all magically blends together!

IMG_1633
We don’t think it affects the taste at all and it really ups the nutritional value.

What do you like to put in your smoothies?? Any secret ingredients?? I would love to try some of your ideas :)


this post is linked to: Tempt my tummy Tuesday
, Tasty Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Raising Homemakers & Alissa’s Tasty Tuesday 

1-signature

15 comments:

  1. Wow, I need to try adding spinach to my smoothie sometime. That's amazing you can't really taste it. Thanks for the healthy tip!

    Are you ready for the big storm?? I'm ready to move south!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I will try the spinach. I just used mixed berries, a handful of extra blueberries, low fat vanilla yogurt and ice. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want smoothies but I haaaaate cleaning the blender! I'm so lazy! I just try to stuff the food into my face instead... but I know I would eat much more during the day if I could drink my food!

    This pink smoothie looks so so so delicious! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love to add wheat germ! It's extra filling and I love the taste. It's almost like one of those Pie flavored shakes and the wheat germ is the crust. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delicious!, new follower!! leaving love from shabby lane =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your creations : ) sent by Shabby lane : ) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alisa,
    I really like the looks of your smoothie. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! We love smoothies here too. We don't put yogurt in ours, just fruit, then either soy or almond milk, reg. milk or a skootch of juice. I also throw in flax, oatmeal, spinach and cabbage! You can't even tell. My girls and hubby love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was asked to try a spinach smmothie but haven't got the nerve yet lol you'd never know yours had it in it with it staying pink & all LOL
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just noticed we are back-to-back link ups on Raising Homemakers who love our spinach smoothies. :) My current favorite is 3/4 C vanilla soy milk (Aldi sells it organic for a great price), 1/4 orange juice, 1 banana, 2 C baby spinach, 1/2 C blueberries, and 1/2 C raspberries. Your pink smoothie is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually like those green drinks, so I am totally going to add spinach the next time I make a smoothie. What a great idea! Thank you.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our usual is Bananas, Strawberries, Greek yogurt, milk, ice and a splash of vanilla extract. I am so adding spinach to the next one - I'll let you know if anyone notices :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI! I'm hosting a link up this week -- It's a Keeper Thursdays! I hope you can come over and link up!

    Thanks!
    It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  14. We add spinach at our house too. One time my daughter and I made a green smoothie with different greens and a lot of banana and even some raisins to sweeten it up. She loved. You have to hide the taste enough but she thought it was the greatest thing ever that her smoothie was green!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We LOVE smoothies. SO SO much. Just recently I discovered just how easy it is to sneak some greens in.

    I wanted to invite you to share this recipe at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays! AS this recipe fits the theme :)

    Happy Sunday!
    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!