Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cupcakes that taste homemade {from a mix}

IMG_2795I like to make desserts from scratch most of the time.
I think they simply taste better.
Especially cakes and frosting.
Amen?
Amen.

However, sometimes a mix is just……um, EASIER and FASTER
{and can taste just as good}

So, I have a secret I want to share with you.
You might already know it, but I bet some of you don’t. I didn’t.
Tidy Mom posted this way back in 2009 {here} so I’m a little late on processing the info.  I’m slow.

The secret is all about how to take a box cake mix and make it so much better. Moist and delicious, unlike most box mixes. 
Homemade taste~ that’s what we want!


Homemade taste from a mix:

Take any box of cake mix, any flavor, but preferably a name brand one.
Add to it~
1 cup of water
1 stick of melted butter {not margarine}
3 eggs

Beat on low for 30 seconds and medium speed for 2 minutes or until nice and thick and fluffy. Fill your cupcake holders 2/3 full {I use an ice cream scoop~perfect size scoop}. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

I used a white cake mix for the cupcakes shown above. I wasn’t sure if it would work since you generally use egg whites so it will stay nice and white, but it worked just great. I also added about a 1/4 cup of cream of coconut to the batter for my coconut cupcakes. I then topped them with my cream cheese frosting {below} and rolled the tops in some coconut. simply delicious.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8oz block of cream cheese {room temp}~ I use low fat
1 stick of butter {room temp}
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1.5 lbs powdered sugar

Cream the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix well. Slowly add the powdered sugar and until it is all incorporated and then whip on high for 30 seconds.


Do you have any secrets for using mixes that taste homemade?

this post is linked to: Crazy domestic, A Little Knick Knack, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Hodgepodge Friday, It’s a Keeper, Foodie Friday, Weekend Wrap up, Tasty Tuesday    


1-signature

13 comments:

  1. I'll have to try that next time I make cupcakes! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. I'm looking at your title like there is no way a box mix can taste homemade anymore than gluten free can taste real. You go girl, keep on baking for Wednesday nights. I know two men in this house that love your desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. You had me at "from a mix"! I love dressing up mixes and the cream cheese frosting -- delish! Thanks for the great recipe and blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple, yet it sounds wonderful.

    I hope you'll stop by and share your recipe with my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/24/chocolate-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to try this. We are a family of bakers, but you're right, Alisa, sometimes it's nice having the convenience of a mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried this recipe and it is the BOMB! I'm taking them to a dinner party tomorrow and can't wait to see what the guests think! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like I've just found my Easter dessert! Seems like I've made little nests out of coconut before, I need to check my recipe file... wouldn't that just be the cutest on each of those cupcakes? A little nest with candy eggs? Signing on to follow so I don't miss anything else. BTW, LOVE your I will be joyful button on the side... great reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. since your PB bars were to DIE for I'm going to give these a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alisa- those cupcakes look so good! You are not the only one who is behind. I never saw that Tidy mom post either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love them and they are very pretty as well see what I have to share at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alisa,
    I am featuring your cupcakes today. Thanks so much for sharing. I know that all my readers are going to love your yummy recipe!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cupcakes look so good! Love the idea of using a boxed mix, sometimes you just don't have time! I'll be using your frosting recipe for sure in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delightful! It's good to know how to fix up a boxed mix to make it something special. I just found your blog on This Chick Cooks- love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!