Monday, November 10, 2008

So much for my weekly Sunday nap & some Hearty hamburger soup

What a crazy busy day yesterday was. We got a lot accomplished though considering we didn't actually start on anything until about 2:30. 
Here was my day in a nutshell: 
Got up at 6:30- Eric left at 7:00 Put lunch in the crockpot Tried to leave for church at 7:45...Josiah wet his pants as I was putting his shoes on...get new pants....ready to go. Drive to church.......so wish it wasn't 30 miles away and that Eric was home to do the driving. Come home at 11:00 and finish putting lunch together Wait.....wait.....wait.....and wait some more on my hubby to get home 1:30 I gave up and the kids and I ate lunch. 2:00 hubby home and he ate lunch 2:15 clean up the kitchen 2:30 get dressed to go work in the yard.

We have 4 LARGE trees and 2 mid-size trees so this makes for TONS of leaves. Kids were on front yard duty to rake and bag.........they were troopers, but it took quite a while. Eric worked on the siding and putting the gutter back up, putting ladders away etc. I raked all the leaves out of the flower beds and off the deck onto the grass then mowed and mulched down all the leaves. If I had just raked I would easily have used 20 big brown paper leaf bags. I then mowed over the whole yard again and bagged the whole thing. I dumped all the mulched leaves on my rose bush and my flower beds. Free compost....thanks God for all those leaves. Oh yeah...somewhere around 3:30 I went in and whipped up a batch of homemade rolls to go with dinner and set them out to rise. We all came in around 5:30.............my backyard looking quite spectacular and the front yard still needing a little work.......still some leaf piles because we ran out of bags. I'll finish that up today before it rains...hopefully. Fixed Hamburger soup for supper.......it is a family favorite around here (recipe below) Cleaned up kitchen and went to work on laundry. Did I mention that our washer broke about a week and a half ago. It took about a week to find the time to fix it and Eric got it done so it is good to go, but I have been so busy since Wed I haven't had the chance to do anything more than a couple loads........so needless to say I have a SERIOUS backlog of laundry. 

Finally fell into bed somewhere around 11:00. Whew! Thank you Lord that I have a car to drive, food to cook, a husband to wait on, a yard to clean up, children to help me, dishes to wash, clothes to launder and a nice soft bed to fall into each night...Amen! 

Hearty Hamburger Soup 
1lb lean ground beef 
1 med. onion, chopped 
2 cups water 
1/2 cup sliced celery 
1 small zucchini halved and sliced 
1cup shredded cabbage 
2 tsp beef bouillon (or use beef broth instead of the water above) 
1tsp Italian seasoning 
1/4 tsp garlic powder 
1 can mild rotel tomatoes 
1 15oz can kidney beans (undrained) 
1 15oz can corn (undrained) 
1/2 cup broken spaghetti or elbow macaroni

Brown ground beef and onion in stock pot, Drain off any fat. Add the rest of the ingredients except the pasta, cover and simmer 15-20 min. Add the pasta and cook until tender.

1 comment:

  1. I am so making this soon!! I'm glad you got so much done yesterday. I had a busy Sunday too, and ALSO missed my Sunday nap!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!