Friday, November 14, 2008

Sweet pumpkin goodness

I love the fall...autumn...whatever you would like to call it. I like the weather, except when it's raining. 

I love the leaves, bonfires, hayrides and the like, but mostly I LIKE PUMPKIN! I'm not referring to the ones you carve (although I do like doing that), I mean the ones you eat! Oh, so many good pumpkin recipes out there and so little time to make them all. 

You really only have about 3-4 months a year when you can make pumpkin treats and people not look at you weird. Who shows up with pumpkin cheesecake at Easter, really??? That's silly, so I must try and make as many things as possible between September and Thanksgiving. 

Last night I made some delicious pumpkin bread. It came out of the oven at about 10:30pm (kids sound to sleep) and by this morning at 8am the first loaf was 3/4 of the way gone and that was before I had any (good thing I made 2 loaves). 

Oh, it is soooo sweet and yummy! Here's mine (with my eggs): And my dining partner (being a ham)..... Here's the recipe if you want to try some: 

Pumpkin bread: 

1 can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups) 
1 cup veg oil ( I use 1/2 cup plain applesauce and 1/2 cup oil) 2 cups sugar 
4 eggs 
2 tsp vanilla 
3 cups flour ( I use 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour & 1.5 cups unbleached white flour) 
1 tsp of each of the following: baking powder baking soda salt cinnamon nutmeg ground cloves 
1 cup mini chocolate chips (purely optional unless you ask your husband, then it isn't an option...it is a must) 

In a large bowl mix the pumpkin, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla ( I just do this by hand...no mixer) Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Divide into two greased and floured 9x5 in loaf pans. If you have smaller pans you can probably make 3 loaves. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45min. The top should spring back when lightly pressed. 

Eat, Enjoy...have a blessed day! 

Check out Money Saving Mom for more Frugal holiday ideas

1 comment:

  1. I currently have this baking in the oven. I have two concerns. #1 I used a fluted cake pan because I don't own two bread pans. #2 I forgot to flour the pan but I did grease it up good ;) I'm not sure if it'll cook through or if it will be very pretty but I promise I'll eat it covered in butter either way :) It smells delish!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!