Friday, January 23, 2009

Frugal Fixes

I've totally been nesting since I took down my Christmas decorations...nope, I'm not pregnant! I'm just really bored with what I look at each day here at home. Time for a change I think. So in the interest of not spending much, but updating things I've been doing things on the cheap. Here are my new curtains in the living room made with my fabric I found for $3/yd and it was such a nice day yesterday that I broke out the spray paint and painted the rod as well. We did splurge on the plantation blinds, but I've been waiting about 9 years for those so it's all good...and I love them! The next thing I did was spruce up my boring brown candles I have on the mantle. Just took a couple sheets of scrapbook paper and a couple pieces of ribbon to dress them up all nice and perty! I found the candle stick on the left on clearance at Kohl's plus I had a 30% off coupon so it was about $6 and the one on the right was on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $5 ....pretty good for wooden candle sticks. They went from this: to this in about 5 minutes...time well spent! My next fix is for the boys room. When Corban was born Eric's mom gave me these Norman Rockwell prints that she had kept for a number of years, but never used. I love Norman Rockwell and have intended to use them once we turned the boys room to a sports theme. I picked up the frames at walmart for $2.50 each and painted them the red in their chair rail to match. It has taken me a year to finish this project, but hey it's finished now and I think they are pretty cute and timeless . My next project is still in progress. When I originally got this light fixture in the kitchen a couple of years ago I covered paper shades in black and white toille (sp?) fabric and they looked nice, but the paper has cracked on the inside from the heat of the light bulbs so they needed to be replaced. I was at Home Depot the other day picking up my blinds and found these shades on clearance for $2.50 each...a steal since they are exactly what I had in mind, but I thought I would have to pay at least $7/shade. They are shorter than my other shades so they look too ...umm...short to me so I am looking for some sort of trim to go along the bottom to lengthen them. I'm happy with them as is for now though. I have more to show, but I'll save them for another day. I'm currently working on repainting several picture frame for a collage display on my kitchen wall beside the table. Should be done next week sometime. For more frugal ideas visit Biblical Womanhood

2 comments:

  1. Cool ideas, I love how your candles came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    now go burn your wicks--wait, I can't tell, maybe they are all ready burnt!

    LOVE your misteatment fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!