Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cheesy Potato Soup

I came up with this recipe one Sunday when we didn't have much to fix and nothing in the budget for eating out. It is super easy and pretty quick to make. It's also pretty cheap, which I like.... Enjoy! 

Cheesy Potato Soup

3 cups diced potatoes (about 1/2 inch) 
1 medium onion diced 
2 Tbsp bacon grease or butter 
32 oz low sodium chicken broth 
salt and pepper to taste 
2 Tbsp butter 
2 Tbsp flour 
3 cups milk 
1/3 lb velveeta (if desired) 

In large stock pot or dutch oven, saute onion in bacon grease until soft and lightly caramelized. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Simmer over med. heat until potatoes are tender. Using a potato masher or something similar, lightly smash the potatoes leaving some diced and some smashed. Add cracked black pepper and salt to taste. Meanwhile in a saute pan melt 2 Tbsp butter over med heat, add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and whisk until smooth and continue to cook on med heat until slightly thickened. Add velveeta if desired (or you could you another kind of cheese or leave it out all together). Stir until melted. Add to the potatoes and stir until completely incorporated. This serves about 6 people. I've decided that potato soup is really not very photogenic (well, at least not with these lighting conditions). Here it is served up in some of the finest orange china the Young house has to offer.  
Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday for more recipes and kitchen tricks.

4 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed making soup lately...It must be a cold weather thing. In the summer I don't think I make it at all! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Potatoes and cheese always go together great! I'm glad you could join us for Tasty Tuesday!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and easy, we love soup in the winter! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a great mid-week meal, for me and Gracie, while hubby is out of town. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!