Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mediterranean Chicken

First off, I confess that I got out of cooking this very difficult (ha!) recipe yesterday because I forgot all about a fundraiser for Britt's school at Chick-fil-A. It was a lot of fun & the kids were very loud. I think nearly every parent just dropped their junior high kid off and made a run for it. 

Not us, we took the whole family (the better to embarrass Britt with...although she didn't act embarrassed at all) It was so loud...the little playground area was the quietest spot in the whole place. When we got there they were having a contest between some of the school faculty to put on a frozen t-shirt.....yes, frozen (I think this would be a good one for youth group) They had to stretch and pull the shirt apart and then be the first to get it on...chilly! They had several contest and the kids loved it! The Chick-fil-A people were just as nice as they could be and encouraged the cheering and noise. That said, I should have a finished picture of this recipe, but I don't because it's cooking now instead of yesterday. 

Trust me though, you really can't find a more simple and satisfying meal. I originally got this recipe from my friend Robin and it has become a family favorite. Here is what you need: Mediterranean Chicken: 
 
*Enough boneless skinless chicken breast to feed you family (we use about 7 or 8 planning for leftovers for lunch) 

*2 cans Hunts diced tomatoes with Balsamic Vinegar, Basil and Olive oil (add another can if you use over 9 chicken breasts) You may have trouble finding the tomatoes (Walmart used to carry them and then they stopped so I just recently found them again at Target) If you can't find them just use regular diced tomatoes and add 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp Olive oil and 1 tsp dried basil per can of tomatoes that you use. It will still turn out very nicely...I've done this many times. 

Throw all this in a crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. (I stick my chicken in frozen in the morning and turn it on high for 1 hour and then put it on low for the rest of the day). About and hour before serving, I just reach in the crockpot with some tongs and shred the chicken up and let it cook for another hour or so. 

This is delicious served over couscous. We use this kind: You could use any kind of couscous you like or some brown rice would be nice. Something that will soak up the sauce from the chicken. This recipe is so easy to tackle for a busy mom and it's so tasty and healthy for your family. Totally beats hamburger helper any day! Yum! I seriously can't wait for dinner! 
***Updated with finished picture***  
Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tackle it Tuesday for more great recipes and kitchen ideas.

7 comments:

  1. That does sound yummy! I think I will try it Thursday. I am still working on using all of the chicken I bought at the big Price Chopper sale at the beginning of the year. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like couscous a lot and this chicken sounds great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving crock pot recipes, these days. This one sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love couscous, chicken, and balsamic vinegar- I think this might be a good recipe for me *L* I've bookmarked it to try later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couscous, chicken and a crockpot? I think me and the hubs will be loving this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delish! I've only used couscous one time. I'll have to try it again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe. It looks very good in the photo too!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!