Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

I LOVE anything pumpkin, but unfortunately I think we find ourselves only using it in the fall when it's seasonally appropriate. Well, I've decided to try and incorporate pumpkin more throughout the year not only due to it's tastyness (yes, that's a word...I'm sure), but because it's sooooo good for you. These little muffins are tasty, moist and pretty good for you. They not only have pumpkin, but they also have apple in them too (in 2 different forms). These would make a great snack or breakfast for little ones (or big ones), just try not to eat too many. The topping is really optional so take it or leave it. Pumpkin Apple muffins  
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 
1 cup sugar 
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp salt 
2 eggs 
1 cup canned pumpkin 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce 
2 cups grated peeled apples 

Topping: 
1/4 cup sugar 
1 Tbsp flour 
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 1/2 Tbsp cold butter 

In a bowl combine the first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, applesauce & oil and add to the dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the apples. Fill paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full. 

In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake 20 minutes or until set in a 350 degree oven. Cool, eat and enjoy! 

If you like making cupcakes or muffins this is will make your life so much easier: I should have taken a picture of it clean, but you get the idea. It can be use for monster cookies, muffins, cupcakes, meatballs and even.......ice cream. You definitely need one with the little swipe thing that releases the dough. Look at how happy and even my scoops are! Happy baking!! 

Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tackle it Tuesday for more great recipes and kitchen ideas.

13 comments:

  1. Those look delicius and I love the scooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I want to go home and make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some frozen cooked and pureed pumpkin in the freezer that needs to be used up. This sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delightful. I just copied the recipe and I cannot wait to try it out! I love muffins and I agree that the scooper is wonderful for making them.

    My latest post: Tasty Tuesday: Maple Pork

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look yummy. Looking at your scooper, reminds me that mine bit the dust years ago and I never replaced it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family is a big fan of muffins. All kinds! I'm going to have to give these a try. Happy TMTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Going to have to try this muffin combination. Bookmarking this recipe! :)

    OH I love my PC scoop!! It is the bomb to lots of scooping in the kitchen! :) I have a smaller one too and that works well for small cookies for little hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love using pumpkin all year! And I have both sizes of that scoop and LOVE them both!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!