Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The perfect pancake

I've made many a pancake in the last 10 years or so since Eric and I have been married, but I never felt any of them were worthy of making again until I came up with this recipe. You can use all regular flour if you don't have whole wheat, but don't try to make it with regular milk or with milk and vinegar (normally a good way to substitute for Buttermilk). It just doesn't work, believe me I've tried and they were not good. 

This recipe makes a lot of pancakes. Enough to feed my entire family and have leftovers to freeze for later. It's hard to say exactly how many since everyone makes different sizes. My best guess would be about 35 4" pancakes. Hope that helps. The Perfect Pancake:  
2 cups all purpose flour 
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 c. sugar 
4 tsp. baking powder 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
2 eggs 
4 cups buttermilk 
1/3 cup canola oil 

In an extra large bowl whisk together your dry ingredients. At this point, you can add up to a 1/4 cup of flax seed meal if you want to sneak in a little extra nutrition. Make a well in the center and add your eggs. Beat the eggs lightly with your whisk. Then add the buttermilk and oil. Stir with a spatula until just mixed and still lumpy. Heat your griddle to Medium heat and oil if necessary. Drop by about 1/4 cup batter at a time. This is where you can add some blueberries, bananas or chocolate chips if you desire. Warning: the light in the oven hood does not make for great photos! I just poke them down into the batter as the first side cooks. You'll want to flip them as you see the sides begin to dry a little. Perfect! Whatever is left over I freeze for individual breakfasts. I lay all the pancakes in a single layer on my cooling rack, but you could just as easily use a cookie sheet and then I stick it in the freezer for a couple hours so they are individually frozen. Everybody has a different appetite at breakfast so this way everyone can choose how many they want. I then just put them into a big freezer bag or a plastic container. To reheat, just stack (they heat better that way) as many as you would like on a microwave safe plate and heat at 30 second intervals on high until heated through. "Num, Num, Num delicioso!", as Josiah puts it. 

Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tackle it Tuesday for more great recipes and kitchen ideas.

9 comments:

  1. I never thought about freezing pancakes! What a great idea for a quick breakfast later. Yours made me hungry. :) Thanks for bringing your great recipe and tip!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tackle! I also never thought of freezing them, but we buy them frozen so why not make our own bulk pancakes cheaper and freeze those right! Thanks for the idea :)

    Robyn
    Mom All Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate chips makes anything closer to perfect, don't they? Your pancakes look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my house, the perfect pancake ALWAYS requires chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pancakes look delicious. Blueberry pancakes are my favorite! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, this looks a lot like my pancake recipe, but I do use the vinegar/milk trick. Maybe it works because I microwave it for a few seconds to get it "cultured" like buttermilk?

    Your pancakes look tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!