Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Staying on top of it all

Over at We are THAT family, Kristen is hosting a backwards edition of Works for Me Wednesdays. Normally you post what works for you and share with others. This week the idea is to post what isn't working for you and hopefully get some input from others on how they do it. So here's my problem: I've been really struggling with staying on top of it all. I used to be so organized and everything had it's place. My house was clean on a daily basis and I never got too far behind on laundry and then......something happened. I think it happened somewhere around August 19th, 2005 with the addition of my 3rd child. It stopped being quite so easy to keep up. It seems like I have lots of little projects to do and I would like to do them, but if I take a day to get something done then my house is a complete disaster. How do ya'll manage it? Cleaning, cooking, laundry, projects, etc.?? Do you have some sort of cleaning schedule? I've tried that, but I have a hard time staying on task if I don't feel like doing something. Am I just lazy? I don't think I am, but maybe so....just not sure. What do you do to stay on top of it all? Do you have a plan? a schedule? Help!

3 comments:

  1. I don't lol. I am convinced it's an illusion others put on :-P
    I have two kids, and we have waves where it goes well and waves where it doesn't.
    It has helped to always do my grocery shopping on the same day (a day I don't have the kids). Also I make sure I always do laundry before I allow myself to eat. Sounds weird, but I don't feel like doing laundry, but if I go put in a load before breakfast and lunch ( doesn't work at dinner time) and evening snack time, the laundry stays MORE than caught up.
    That being said, the house is usually messy. I'm trying, and over the last 7 years I've improved. I'm hoping as the kids get older they can help more, plus they'll be in school wheich will give me more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above post. I think there just has to be a point where you learn to let some things go. There just isn't enough time in the day for me to do everything I need and want to do. Some things just have to wait. And if that means my house is a little messier because of it...oh well. Life goes on. That my two cents.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto! :) I remember the days of married-with-no-kids when I spent every Saturday morning cleaning the house from top to bottom...and then it stayed that way, well, until my husband or I messed it up! Twelve years and four kids later, it just doesn't happen. Life happens and life is messy (especially with kids). So my advice is: go with it.

    Having said that, I do find that if the house is in constant chaos, I get grumpy. So, here are some things that have been helpful in our house:

    1. Get rid of extraneous stuff. The less stuff around, the less to maintain and clean. I'm brutal when it comes to giving/throwing things away. Gotta stay on top of it for sure.
    2. We have a daily pick-up time when everyone is expected to chip in and help. I put the timer on and the kids race against it. Clean-up time has become as routine as getting dressed or brushing teeth.
    3. I have relaxed a LOT on the "deep" cleaning. We keep things picked up but I only deep clean when things are really bad and I can't stand it anymore. Other than that, I look at it and go something like, "Yep, obviously I've not cleaned the bathroom in a while. Oh well, no one will die."
    4. I like FlyLady's idea of splitting your house into zones with each week of the month dedicated to one zone. And then you do a little each day in that zone and by the time the month is up, you've got your house pretty well in order.
    5. Laundry seems to be a major pain, but I now throw one load in the washer every morning (I've worked it into my get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth, throw in laundry, brush hair) routine. Then set a time later to fold and put away (this is key!). One load at a time goes quick (as opposed to letting it build up!).

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!