Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Broccoli Slaw Salad

This may very well be the most pathetically put together recipe post I've done. 

I confess this was on our menu last night and I even went to the store to get the broccoli part knowing (but not really checking) that I had the rest of the ingredients. So I got ready to fix it and guess what, no dressing...duh! really a pretty important part of the recipe. 

Then as I was getting things out today to take a picture of all the ingredients (minus the dressing) I also found no mandarin oranges...huh? not very good planning on my part, but here goes anyways. 

I found this recipe in a magazine a while back and have tweaked it to suit our tastes. It sounds a little strange, but trust me it is really tasty. All the kids like it, even those who don't like broccoli so it's a great way to get both fruits and veggies in their bellies. Here's most of the ingredients: Imagine if you will, a small can of mandarin oranges as well and a bottle of this or another similar type poppy seed dressing (I just really like this one) Now here's how ya put it all together 

1 bag of broccoli slaw 
 ½ - 1 apple chopped (peeled or unpeeled) 
1 small can of mandarin oranges, drained 
½ cup raisins 
1 cup grapes, cut in half 
¼ cup sunflower seeds (you can add more if you like or even sub out with pecans or walnuts) 

Toss all this together in a large bowl. 
Add about 1/3 cup of dressing and toss. It's better to add too little than too much. The broccoli will let out some moisture as it sits so don't put too much to begin with. Let sit in the fridge for a couple hours for the flavors to marry. yummy! I'll post a picture when I actually make it. Enjoy! 

This recipe is perfect for Laura's Eat more fruits and veggies challenge

Now go check out Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Mom Trends & Foodie Friday for more wonderful recipes.

10 comments:

  1. We really love this salad in the summer and it's summer a LOT in FL!! :) Great choice--it's absolutely wonderful! I like your blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried broccoli slaw, but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this salad. It's so tasty and the kids will ear it too. Always a big plus. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best poppy seed dressing I have ever had. I haven't used it for a long time but since you reminded me....I will have to go out and buy more.
    By the way your broccoli slaw sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat this year round. One of our favorites and healthy too.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great salad -- a crowd pleaser at a party, too, I'll bet. Nice! I love how you put this post together -- very sweet!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really good salad. I have to make it soon. Thanks for reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good... I am going to try it! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This slaw sounds really wonderful. I'm printing the recipe right now. Just returned from the grocery... wish I'd read your blog first so I could have made it for my family dinner tomorrow. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!