Friday, May 1, 2009

A Sweet Site

10 years ago, when we bought our home I decided that we needed a rose bush so I hit the local drug store (isn't that where you would look for one? ) and bought one (a very small one) for about $3.50. Oh, so expensive you say...I know it really broke the bank, but it was soooo worth it. That little rose has given us great pleasure every year since. It has grown and grown and I have done nothing to it, no fertilizer, no spray. Let's just say it...it's flourished in spite of me. Now I have learned that with a rambling rose you should take the long stalks and place them parallel to the ground and the new shoots will grow up from them. Making for a very full looking rose bush...thingy. That is just about as far as my rose knowledge goes, but as of 2 years ago this is what it looked like It was actually starting to kill the grass beneath because it couldn't get enough sun. It also puts off lots of new runners each year that are about 5 feet long and smack you in the face.For these reasons I decided last fall that it really needed to be cut back. Mind you, I have cut it back some each year for about the last 6 years or so, but this time it called for a serious intervention. So I cut and cut on it for about 2 days and came away with about 4 big brown recycling bags of limbs. It's not easy work cutting up a rose bush....it's pokey and some what painful at times. It had little holes all over my arms, but thanks to a very nice pair of gloves my mother in law bought me, my fingers were still intact. When all was said and done, it was about a foot tall. I took out the old trellis and put up 2 new ones to better serve the purpose, but then I started to worry that I had really just killed it. I've waited and waited for some sign of life, but it's taken quite a while. My peony plants are already 3 feet tall and no sign of life from my poor rose......until last weekend while I was gone. Yeah...it lives!! I'm so glad I didn't kill the poor thing. I love it and can't wait to see if it actually blooms this year. It is just breathtaking when it does and it's what I see while looking out my kitchen window (so I look at it a lot). This is definitely one of the finer things in life....beautiful flowers made by a Holy God, just for our pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that grew fast in just 2 years! I love flowers too, they are so beautiful and such a reminder of God's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're inspiring me to give it a try. We have NO landscaping at our home, which we moved into nearly 3 years ago. My black thumb scares me, but that looks pretty low maintenance. ;-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!