Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Cake

If you like lemon then you will surely like this cake. It uses buttermilk too so it's not too sweet and goes just perfectly with some fresh berries or some sorbet. 

I originally got this out of a magazine, but I couldn't tell you which one...sorry. 

Here's how it goes:  

Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Cake  

Cake:  
3 Tbsp grated lemon rind (about 2 lemons)  
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)  
1½ cups plus 2 Tbsp sugar (divided)  
3 cups flour  
1 tsp baking powder  
3/4 tsp salt  
½ tsp baking soda  
½ cup butter, softened  
3 large eggs  
1 cup low-fat buttermilk 

Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare Bundt cake pan with cooking spray and then dust with the 2 Tbsp sugar. Combine the rind and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir well with a whisk. In another bowl, beat the butter with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the rest of the sugar & the rind mixture and beat until well blended. Add each egg, 1 at a time, beating well between each one. Add flour mixture and 1 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beating at low speed. Spoon batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or unil done. Cool in pan 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. Cool completely on wire rack.  

Glaze:  
1 cup powdered sugar  
1½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice 
1 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk  
1 tsp grated lemon rind (optional) 

To prepare, mix all ingredients except the rind together and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake. Garnish with lemon rind once the glaze is set, if desired.  
Eat and enjoy! Visit Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday , Foodie Friday & Mom Trends to find lots of great recipes.

13 comments:

  1. I have a bundt pan but have never used it. This looks like a recipe that would work well for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lose my marbles for anything lemon! This will definitely be on the dessert menu sometime in the very near future! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good and lite for a summer day ! I will try this soon, my family would love it, thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon pound cake. Wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing your TMTT recipe and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Lemon plus glaze -- can't beat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks SO yummy! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you just make me one and either deliver it to me or ship it?? :-) It looks scrumpcious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious! I have to tell you that my given name is Alisa , too. Everyone calls me Lisa. You are the second Alisa I've met blogging! We are Kindred Spirits :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks and sounds delicious! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I posted a lemon cake today too. Good minds think alike:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love anything with lemon, and this looks delicious. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful cake. You have a lovely blog. I'll try to visit often. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!