Monday, September 7, 2009

Super Moist Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut Topping

This is one of our favorite cake recipes. It's super moist and the broiled coconut topping is just so perfect you can't help but eat a piece {or three}.

Super Moist Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut Topping  
{aka one of the best things you can possibly do with a cup of oats}

Cake:
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt

Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk or cream
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X13 pan.
  • In a small bowl, combine the oatmeal and boiling water. Stir well and let sit.
  •  In a large bowl mix the butter, sugars, eggs, flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Add oatmeal mixture and combine well. Pour batter into prepared pan. 
  •  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is set
  • While cake is baking combine all topping ingredients in a bowl.
  • When cake is done baking, remove from oven and turn on the broiler. Drop the topping mixture by spoonfuls on top of the cake. Use the back of a spoon to spread the topping evenly over the top of the cake. 
  •  Broil for 2-6 minutes, until topping is bubbly and lightly browned.

Enjoy!

Visit Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Recipe Swap & Foodie Friday for more great recipes

12 comments:

  1. What a YUUMY!!! cake. I have always want a recipe made with oatmeal. THANKS!!! for the GREAT!!! recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut! Your recipe sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, and I usually have these ingredients on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this before. It sounds great. I'm bookmarking this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at broiled coconut topping!!! YUMMY! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oatmeal, so I'm sure this cake is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband drives miles to buy an oatmeal cake from a Mennonite bakery. Now I'll be able to make one at home. I've never before found a recipe I like. This sounds delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oatmeal Cake happens to be my very favorite cake and I request it for my birthday. Yummy. I can almost taste it now. Maybe I'll make it before my birthday! thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!