Monday, October 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars

DSCF6666

Here is possibly one of the best recipes I've ever made with pumpkin. {In my opinion, anyways.} I love the chocolate with the pumpkin. It's super simple and it doesn't even use the entire can of pumpkin so you can save it to make yourself a little pumpkin shake or smoothie or something nice like that. 

I can't remember where I got the recipe, probably out of a magazine somewhere so if you recognize it please let me know. I am more than happy to give credit where credit is due.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars

2 sticks of butter, softened {yes, I know that's a lot of butter, but it's soooo worth it...trust me}
1¼ cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 CUP canned pumpkin puree {not pie filling}
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
6-12oz semisweet chocolate chips {I use half a bag} 

Prepare a 9x13 dish with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350°. 

With an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and cream until combined. Beat in the pumpkin {the mixture may look a little curdled...it's ok}. Reduce your mixer speed to low and add the flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly. Mixture should be light and fluffy. Fold in the chocolate chips. 

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean in the center. Approximately 30-40 minutes. Cool completely {or just go ahead and sneak a little while it's warm}

Enjoy a little taste of Autumn!

Visit Family Recipe Fridays, Recipe Swap. What did you bake today?, Foodie Friday, Tasty Tuesday, Kimba's Diy Day and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday for more great recipes and ideas.

I also linked up to Eating Simply's pumpkin recipe exchange

25 comments:

  1. I love anything with chocolate. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin bars are soooo yummy and I bet they are even better with chocolate chips. A great fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds so tasty. You're making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds so tasty. You're making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a huge sweet tooth but I do believe I would really enjoy these. Big Time.

    It's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. Looks wonderful!! There is another person participating in TMTT this week who is having people link up their pumpkin recipes. You should share that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know these must be yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really good, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I make a pumpkin chocolate chip bread that is quite similar (but uses applesauce rather than butter), and we love it. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Those look totally delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visting and entering. Mmmmmm looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good recipe, Alisa. I keep trying to imagine what the chocolate chips taste like with the flavor of pumpkin. I love both, so I bet I would like these! Thanks for sharing...

    Happy Foodie Friday!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These really do look delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that chocolate and pumpkin seem made for each other. This sounds like a delicious recipe. Butter makes everything just that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The directions mention adding the cream with the egg and vanilla, yet I don't see cream listed as an ingredient.

    This sounds delicious and I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No such thing as too much butter in a recipe! I'm with Paula Deen on that count.
    These look incredibly delicious. I am a big pumpkin fan ... and chocolate too? Oh my, swoon time.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry if it isn't clear, but there is no "cream" in the recipe. The cream listed is a verb. Whip them together to incorporate air. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious. I am gathering up pumpkin recipes for a pumpkin roundup and I would love to use this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks really good. I can't wait to try all these pumpkin recipes I'm seeing. Thanks for participating in my Pumpkin Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering! I really enjoyed looking around your blog! What great ideas!!
    *Eliza’s blog*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you think I could add some oatmeal and still have the bars turn out well?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Madelyn~ I am not really sure, but if I were to try it I would probably grind it fine in a food processor and substitute it for part of the flour. Let me know if you do it! I would love to know the results!

    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Baking in the oven right now. The kids (and I) can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!