Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lack of focus and some Roasted pumpkin seeds

I have an inability to focus.

Let's take today for instance. I have a ton of things to do with a list of at least 15 things long.

So what do I do??? I totally ignore what I should be doing and find other things to do. Ya know, pressing things like roasting pumpkin seeds and cutting up 40lbs of apples to make applesauce. Oh yeah....and then I sit down to write about it.

Makes complete sense, right?

So far I've got all my apples cut up and they are cooking on the stove in 3 big ol' pots. I ♥ homemade applesauce.

DSCF7167

If you've done any of this

DSCF7200

then you will certainly end up with some seeds. Don't throw them out! Roast them! Every year I roast them with some oil salt a little chili powder or something and they turn out OK, but nothing to write home about. They normally get devoured so they must be all right. 

Me not being satisfied with bland seeds, I decided to kick it up a notch and I'm sure glad I did. Here is what I did:

DSCF7187


I had about 4 cups of seeds so I doubled this recipe and used 2 cookie sheets 

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Pumpkin seeds  

2 Cups raw, washed pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp butter melted
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp chipotle chili powder (you can substitute a couple drops of hot sauce instead)

Mix the melted butter and the pumpkin seeds together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the salt, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and the chipotle chili powder together. Pour over your pumpkin seeds and mix well. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, a silpat or sprayed with non-stick stuff, spread your seeds out in a nice thin layer. Bake at 300° for approximately 45 minutes. Tossing halfway through. Dont' let the go too long or they will burn. Mine are on the verge because I didn't set the timer. They are still divine!

Let cool thoroughly before eating. 

Warning: once you start eating them, you may not be able to stop.

4 comments:

  1. You seem to get an awful lot done while you're "not focusing" . . . :)

    love ya!

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try this.. I just wash and salt.. I tried to add pumpkin spice or nutmeg and the kids didn't think that sounded right so we stuck to the salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm notorious for choosing to only do the things that sound like fun to do...which is why my house is currently a disaster!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!