Monday, October 12, 2009

Yum, Yum Brussel Sprouts {or bacon makes everything better}

Love me some brussel sprouts, oh yes I do! 

Not fixed just any old way though. They must be roasted or cooked just like this.

I never liked sprouts until I had them cooked like this and now it's probably one of my most favorite veggies. 

Don't think you like them?? 
Add a little bacon....that will help, for sure!


Yum, Yum Brussel Sprouts! 

About 15 sprouts, nice and tight and on the smallish size if you have a choice. Green good, brown bad. No brown sprouts please.
1-2 strips of bacon {it doesn't take much, really}
1/2 of an apple chopped small {preferably a tart apple like granny smith, but any will do}
1/2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste


Start by peeling off the outer layer of each sprout and wash them. Cut each in half lengthwise {through the stem}


DSCF6801

Boil some water in a sauce pan and add a little salt {maybe a 1/2 tsp}. Add your sprouts and boil approximately 6 minutes {more if your sprouts are real big or less if they are super small}. They should be bright green when you remove them and place them in a bowl lined with a paper towel to drain. 


DSCF6802

In a saute pan, fry up your bacon. Remove the bacon and chop it up. Add it back to the pan along with the butter and the apple. Let the apple brown up a little over medium heat. 

DSCF6806

Add your sprouts to the pan and let saute until nicely golden. 

DSCF6812

The sprouts should still have a little bite to them when they are fully cooked. Serve immediately.

Visit Friday Food, Foodie Friday, Recipe Swap Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the table and Tempt my tummy Tuesday for more recipe ideas.

22 comments:

  1. That sounds soooo good!! thank you for sharing, I am going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I'm never quite sure HOW to fix brussel sprouts...Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS My name is Alisa, too . I've found 1 other Alisa in blogland-Carolina Panache. I think I'm older than both of ya'll combined so I had it first.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, those brussel sprouts sound
    delicious, wishing I had some today!! Am definitely gonna have to try them. I am always looking for new ways to get more veggies in our diet. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brussel sprouts. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound yummy! I wonder if my kids would eat them.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brussel sprouts, but I dont think that even bacon would get my husband to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had brussel sprouts in ages -- these look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bacon really does make everything better! It's been a while since I've had brussel sprouts; I'll have to try them again.

    Thanks for sharing with TATT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are brussel sprout fans at our house. I know not everybody appreciates the taste, but we just love them. Thanks for sharing this. Come share a slow cooker favorite for Crock Pot Wednesday whenever you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to add apple. I always book my brussel sprouts with butter and bacon but will definitely add apples next time. Love your blog too! best wishes, NM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If people know anything from my country, its Brussel sprouts and chocolades. Living near the real Brussels I had to come in and see your blog of course.
    We eat sprouts three ways. Cooked in salted water until still a bit crispy and then drained and tossed with a bit a brown butter, pepper and salt.
    Then recently we started adding some bacon pieces like you do but without the apple.
    The third way I like best and that is to toss them after they where cooked in brown butter and adding a few wallnuts. For 4 persons about 2 spoons full of them. I can assure you this is very nice.
    The main thing for brussel sprouts is not to overcook them.They should stay a very fresh green color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't care for them... but I scrolled down cause you said "bacon" and my hubby loves them! Every-time I make them for him I always try one...I just haven't acquired the taste! I will try this recipe... perhaps I will have better luck... Fantastic photos by the way!
    Have a wonderful week end!
    ~Really Wicked Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe I will be like you and love them once I have them like this. There's a very good chance because they look awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love love brussel sprouts. This seems like a VERY tasty way to fix them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so thrilled with all the apple recipes this week. We went apple picking and have a few dozen. And we love brussels sprouts here. Thanks for sharing with Momtrends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to try this. Brussels Sprouts are my husband's favorite vegetable. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you ever roasted them in the oven? If not, you should give it a try sometime.


    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Brussel Sprouts and roasting them is my favorite...second would be steamed and then sauteed in browned butter. Now this recipe may upsurp the aformentioned favorite and second :)

    Thanks for posting!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for posting this. I can't tell you how long I've been looking for a good brussel sprout recipe. How do frozen sprouts do for this? You can speed up the process by chopping the bacon up before you put it in the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love b. sprouts too! I usually just roast in oven. I now will look forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!