Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

IMG_1023

This stuff is so yummy on a cold evening! It is a little spicy, but even my 4 year old could handle it just fine and you can adjust the spice level if needed.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

You will need about 2 cups cooked, cubed or shredded chicken. You could use some rotisserie chicken, leftovers or just throw a couple chicken breasts in a skillet and cook them up and then shred them like I did.

IMG_1022

1 large yellow onion diced
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin 
1 Tbsp canola oil 
32 oz chicken broth
2 cans (14oz) fire roasted {very important...lots of flavor} diced tomatoes
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles {or 1 7oz can}
About 10 oz frozen corn
½ tsp Garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
and your secret ingredient....... Chipotle chili pepper to taste {a little goes a very long way}

IMG_1045
If you don't have any of this stuff....go get some...quickly

It will make your life all smoky and spicy! yum!
IMG_1013
{lovely picture isn't it?? it is the only one I got so this is it friends....
apparently I forgot to take any more pics until the very end......crazy mom brain!}

In a large pot or dutch oven saute the onion and cumin in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes {or until onion is soft}. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chiles, corn garlic powder, and chicken. At this point I would take a taste and see if it needs salt and pepper and see if it is very spicy. I added about 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder to ours. I would recommend starting with a 1/4 tsp and tasting it. You can always add more, but you can't take it away.

Stir and let come to a simmer for about 15 minutes {or more if you like}. 

Completely optional: While the soup came to a simmer I cut some corn tortillas into thin little strips and put them on a baking sheet with no-stick spray on it. I then sprayed the tortillas strips with a little more spray and sprinkled with regular old chili powder. Put them in the oven at 350° for about 5 minutes or until crispy. Serve these on top of the soup. 

We also added some grated cheese, sour cream {helps cut the spicy for little ones} and some avocado slices. Super yummy and I don't have any nutritional facts on it or anything, but it has to be pretty good for you, minus the cheese and sour cream of course.

Hope you are keeping warm today!  


This recipe is linked up to Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday and Tuesday's at the table

7 comments:

  1. Yummmmyyyyy! I can't wait to try this recipe out; anything related to Mexican food is automatically a winner with me! And I'm definitely gonna have to run out and get some of your "secret ingredient!" Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous!! I can't wait to try it!

    Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures, that does look like a really yummy soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually an old Weight Watcher's recipe. Super yummy and super good for you my two favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon- funny...I took a recipe I tore out of an old magazine and just kinda played with it a little and came up with this. I had no idea there was a similar Weight Watchers recipe out there. Great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is funny. It's one of Christi C's favorites. I can't remember the points value but I believe it's just 2pts per cup and the only difference I see is there's no oil and of course your secret ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I SO NEED that Chipotle Chile Pepper! Thanks for the recommendation. I love finding out about new things to cook with. Happy New Year and thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!