Monday, January 4, 2010

Would you think I'm a nut??

if I told you I am going to try and read the bible in the next 90 days??

I may fail.....but I'm going to try.

I've never read it all the way through. I've started MANY times {always in January, mind you}, but have always lost enthusiasm somewhere around the end of Genesis or Exodus. Mostly because I AM NOT A READER.  

I can read {obviously}, hence the ridiculous amount of time I spend reading some wonderful ideas and info out there in blogland.

I was thinking about making my same old resolution about reading the Bible in a year and it just made me want to run away screaming. Not because I don't want to do it, but because that is a LOT of days of reading to avoid and feel guilty about when I don't accomplish it....365 to be exact. 

Then I read this post by Missy over at It's Almost Naptime and was thinking....well, 90 days seems crazy, but more doable. More reading in less time is more appealing to me. Make a HUGE commitment and stick to it for a short period of time and pray that God will use this commitment to give me discipline in this area of my life. Pray that he will give me the deep desire and discipline to meditate on his word daily. 


Want to join along? I'm actually 4 days late starting so I'm either going to finish 4 days late {which would be the day before Easter} or somewhere along the line I will be inspired to catch up. 

You can print off the reading guide here.

I'm actually thinking about listening to the bible while I read it. You can do that here


You can find out all about the challenge here or go to Mom's Toolbox for more information. 

I'd love to know if you are going to join in on this exciting adventure. 

Or do you just think I'm a nut for even trying?

5 comments:

  1. Alissa,
    I think that is a great idea. A few years ago I did a read thru the bible plan and I got behind but I just took my time and read till I finished it and it was 6 mos into the next year! So What,
    big deal!
    I would recommend you start where you left off then you will be reading new stuff and you will probably get a lot further. and reading while listening to it being read is really good cause it will probably stick with you more.
    I like having a schedule really cause sometimes you come to read your bible but think where should I read, so now I try to pick a chapter and read it all the way thru, but I do new test. then old test, and go back and forth like that.
    Our Pastor has a plan he is going to start this Sunday I believe it is where are whole church will be insync - think it is to encourage believers to read their bible at
    least 4 times a week, because it is a proven fact, that when we do
    Jesus will use it to bring real change in our lives. I truly believe that is true. We teach marriage courses and we have seen where it is a proven fact that couples who read the bible and pray together everyday have a 99%
    success rate! I think that is awesome, and if you look at our divorce rate, it tells you a lot!!
    Well happy reading my friend,
    good for you!! I will pray you have great success and learn learn learn about the Lord.
    Blessings, and thanks for the challenge.
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yea, and I don't think you are a nut in the least!!
    You go girl!!!!
    Blessings again,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an AMAZING idea! I've heard several people doing this so if you ARE a nut- at least you're no the only one :) Hope you get through it all, and maybe sometime I'll get on board and do it too but for now there is NO WAY I could do it! (Insert lame excuses here...) So enjoy and I can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not a nut! You sound like a lady who is thirsty for God's word! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee!!

    Hey, I will tell you my secret. I read the OT in The Message version. Makes it go way easier!!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!