Monday, February 1, 2010

Ham and Cheese Au-gratin{fancy macaroni and cheese}

There is macaroni and cheese and then there is....



IMG_2471


MACARONI and CHEESE!!!

This is, of course, a recipe for the latter. 

{This is NOT a diet recipe of any sort.......so just quit reading now if you are on one.....I don't want hate mail when you break down and have to have some of this and then can't stop eating it...just sayin'}

Even my daughter, who detest peas, begs {yes, begs} me to make this recipe. 

It's a magnificent miracle of macaroni, I tell ya!

It is a meal in itself with smoky ham and peas all mixed inside it's ooey gooey cheesyness. Oh, my let's just get on with it shall we? 


Ham and Cheese Au-gratin {fancy macaroni and cheese}

1lb medium sized shell pasta {I like whole wheat if you can find them}
8 oz frozen peas
8 oz chopped smoked ham
1 ½ cups half & half {or milk if you prefer, it just won't be as creamy}
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese 
1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese {or colby-mont jack}
½ cup grated havarti cheese 
1 tsp crushed rosemary {not powdered}
pepper to taste
½-1 cup crushed crackers or breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp butter, melted
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, boil your pasta in salted water until almost done. Add the peas to the pasta water the last couple minutes to thaw them and cook slightly. Drain the pasta and peas and return to the pot. Add your ham, half and half, cheese {except parmesan}, rosemary and pepper. Stir until well combined and transfer to a greased 9x13 dish. 
In a separate bowl, combine your cracker or bread crumbs, butter and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta evenly. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for approximately 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until toasty brown on top.


Enjoy!

This recipe is linked up to:
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt my tummy Tuesday
Tuesday at the table

5 comments:

  1. Morning Alisa,
    Look like a delightfully delicious dish, yum!! I can easily turn that into a low-fat recipe, so I will have to give it a try soon.
    Thanks for sharing it!
    Hope you are doing well hon,
    Have a great day,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks wonderful!! Yes, fancy mac and cheese. Love it! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds de-lish! Cannot wait to give it a try.

    Thanks for sharing the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fancy mac n cheese sounds terrific. I can't wait to give it a try when my grandchildren are around. Thanks for sharing. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednedays whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Mac and cheese for grown-ups.:) Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!