Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Forcing Spring

IMG_2455

In my opinion Spring really can't come fast enough. I know it may be a little ways off, but you can make it seem a bit closer by forcing it.....well, forcing some bulbs anyway.

You don't even need any dirt. Just find a tall glass container {if you want to watch the roots grow} and throw in some rocks.....ok, don't throw them....put them in gently. Sit your paper white {narcissus} bulbs on top and keep water just to the bottom of the bulbs. It won't take long for the roots to start growing {kids love to watch this process} and your flowers to bloom.

2 comments:

  1. But make sure you put them some place you don't have to smell them. Or is it just me who doesn't like the smell. I always love growing them every year, but every year I am shocked by how much I dislike the smell. I still grow them because they are beautiful and give me that early glimpse of spring that I need.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alisa,
    I may just have to give that a try,
    never knew it was so easy. They are really beautiful, and do give a touch of spring time. I am fairly ready too. Course, I know that means lots of yard work, so I am not so eager for that!! lol
    Course, once it gets here and I finally can get out there, I always enjoy it! So I am basking in my lazyiness for now!! lol
    Plus I want to start working on my
    bathroom again, and then I will have to do both, so not relishing that too much, if you know what I mean, Jellybean!
    Since Mr. Groundhog said 6 more weeks, I should be rested up by then, course, I better get busy on that bathroom and maybe I could have it done by then. Now there is a good thought!! lol
    Have a great day,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!