Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh So Yummy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

I love me some chocolate! Anyone else? 

My favorite form of chocolate happens to come in the form of FROSTING!!  

Homemade frosting....chocolate buttercream frosting. 

IMG_4111

It's sweet, creamy and chocolately all rolled into one little spoon full of heaven.

It is VERY simple to make so there is NO need to ever buy a can of chocolate frosting again {unless you are making this recipe}. It only takes about 3 minutes once your butter is softened. 

IMG_4116

I got this recipe from an old friend a long time ago and at first I alternated the dry and wet ingredients and what not to get it nice and fluffy. 

Well, it turns out if you just whip your butter first and then put all the other ingredients in your stand mixer, throw a towel over the top {to keep the powdered sugar from flying everywhere}, turn it on low until it is mostly mixed and then turn it on med-high to whip it really good for a minute or so it comes out the same. I use my whisk attachment and it works great, but you can also use a regular mixer and beaters. 


Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

6 Tbsp butter, softened
2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Whip the butter until fluffy and alternately add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and milk while on low speed {or see note above}. Add the vanilla and dash of salt and continue to whip on med-high until completely mixed and fluffy. 

Take a bite and make sure it's good.....oh, yes it is...every time!

Frost your cake, cupcakes or just eat it....your choice. This will make enough to generously frost a 9x13 cake, a layered round cake or 24 cupcakes. {It is supremely delicious on the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe found on the back of the box of cocoa powder.}

IMG_4128

The birthday boy agrees it is indeed heavenly! He didn't want any of the leftovers to go to waste...so nice of him to help out like that .

This post is linked up to:
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Tuesdays at the Table
Mouthwatering Mondays
Remodelaholic

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good chocolate buttercream recipe. Your pictures make it look so yummy! I cannot wait to give this a try. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM...my kids love this on graham crackers. No need to wait for cake :)

    Be sure to pop over and enter in for my 100th post giveaway!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum!!! This looks so good and super easy!

    Thanks for sharing the towel-over-the-mixer tip...I kind of wish I'd heard of that ages ago. Granted, I figured it out...after making a mess of myself! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!! Looks super delish and easy to make! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... I love chocolat frosting! I'll be trying this recipe real soon. :-)

    Thanks for sharing with TATT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am offering edible flowers today at Cole's Tuesday at the Table that would go nicely with your frosting. Although they are flowers, I think birthday boy wouldn't mind as they are made out of gumdrops. I can't wait to make your frosting. I am happy to just lick it off my fingers. Please stop on over. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love buttercream frosting and I don't have a chocolate buttercream recipe. THANKS!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hint to whip the butter first! Need to make me some brownies so I have something to frost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious! Homemade frosting is so much nicer than canned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love me some chocolate too. Especially in the form of cake and frosting!! I have been wanting to try a recipe for homemade frosting so this is perfect! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE chocolate frosting! I am pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would it mess this recipe up completely if I used shortening instead of butter?

    Cath Brookes
    Veritable Decking Ipe information

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!