Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade tomato soup and a review

CountertopBlenderwith50OunceGlassJar[2] (1)

Remember back in the dark ages when I told you I had the privilege of doing a review for CSN stores? I claimed that I was going to order some new light fixtures……uh, I was going to…….until I saw this blender.

I really needed a new blender so
this one was calling to me. It’s ranked a “best buy” by America’s Test kitchen and I think they seem like a smart bunch of people so I ordered it.  

It is so much more powerful than my last blender. It has 6 blades, a glass jar and feels very well made. It only has 2 settings and a pulse, which is really all you need. I never used the 342 settings on my old one. I generally used about 2 of them.  Am I the only one?

The first thing I made was a batch of smoothies. This quickly became a lesson in why not to peel your ginger root before you freeze it because you might mistake it for frozen bananas. This will indeed overpower your smoothies and make them, well……undrinkable. Just sayin’.  I can say that this blender will chop 3 big pieces of frozen ginger into oblivion in no time flat. 

Let’s move on to a more successful blending adventure. 

IMG_7756 This recipe is delicious and fresh. Way better than canned tomato soup {which I don’t so much care for}. It’s simple too, which makes it even better. 

Homemade tomato soup {serves 4}

4-5 cups diced tomatoes {your soup will only be as tasty as your ingredients so make sure they are nice ripe garden tomatoes}
1 small onion chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
pepper to taste"
2-3 tsp sugar

IMG_7748 Over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in oil until translucent.

IMG_7753

Add the tomatoes and broth. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.

{Ironically- I have NO pictures of the next steps}

If you have an immersion blender you could use that here.

Pour half of the tomato mixture into the blender. Remove the little filter cap in the lid and cover with a towel {so the steam can escape and your lid won’t blow off and make a huge mess}.

Pulse until blended to your likeness. I like no lumps myself. Do the other half and return the soup to the pan and add the remaining ingredients.

All done. I like mine topped with a little dollop of sour cream, but my hubby likes a little parmesan on his.  I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

this post is linked to
Foodie Friday
Fingerprints on the fridge
My romantic home
Food on Fridays
Friday food
Weekend Wrap up

10 comments:

  1. Your ginger smoothie story made me laugh! Ginger is so potent so I can't imagine what it must have tasted like!! Your soup recipe sounds delicious. I'll give it a try once the weather cools down. I made a similar soup last winter and let's just say I didn't cover the blender with a towel. Can you say giant mess??! I learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fresh and beautiful! What a great way to use up some garden tomatoes too. Now give me a bowl and a grilled cheese sammie please and I'm a happy gal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love making soup from scratch. YUM!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you left the skins on the tomatoes, yes? And the seeds just blended, too, right? If so, that really is easy, eliminating steps and getting right to *eating*!

    I'm totally making this for lunch today--I have an abundance of tomatoes at the moment and want to make something delicious that uses a lot of them. Plus, I'm betting I could freeze any leftover soup to make me happy in winter.

    Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays at annkroeker.com!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love tomato soup, and homemade is so much better than a can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade tomato soup...so delicious & fresh tasting! Yumm!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow....YUM!!! This looks so delish! I'm loving your blog and I'm happy to be your newest follower! I'd like to invite you to my link party/giveaway every Friday at FrouFrouDecor! Hope to see you there! Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FFD~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soup! This looks especially good. Can't wait to try it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to try this recipe! I'll let you know when I do.

      Delete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!