Thursday, February 3, 2011

When life gives you snow, make snow ice cream!!

There are sweet possibilities almost everywhere you look these days.

Snow, snow, snow
Very sweet, indeed!

Not so much to play in, but sweet to eat!

IMG_2096
Growing up I remember making snow ice cream every year. My brother or I would go out in the snow and retrieve a big old bowl of fresh clean snow and bring it inside for my mom to whip up into delicious ice cream. Such yummy memories!

So yesterday, considering all the snow we have been blessed with, we made a couple of batches and it was soooo tasty. I’m not sure how my mom made it all those years ago, but here is how we did it.

SNOW ICE CREAM

1 can sweetened condensed milk {I used fat free}
1/4 cup milk {more or less as needed}
2 tsp vanilla
Big old bowl of clean, fresh snow {at least 1 gallon}

In a big bowl add the sweetened condensed milk, regular milk,  vanilla and mix well. Add the snow a bit at a time and stir well. Keep adding snow until it is a good ice cream consistency.

Dish up and enjoy!
Especially tasty with a little chocolate syrup on top :) 

Extras will keep in the freezer {if you possibly have any}. I had to add a splash of milk to thaw it a little and then I gave it a good stir. It was just as delicious as when it was first made.

Blessings~

1-signature


this post is linked to: Tasty Tuesday, It’s a keeper, Fingerprints on the fridge, Hodgepodge Friday, A little knick-knack, Weekend Wrap up            


18 comments:

  1. Yum! I wish we had just a little bit of snow down here! We are just cold and rainy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks soooo yummy...I remember making this at my grandparents house as a child.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered this recipe for snow cream a few days ago. It is SO good.:)
    We put sprinkles on ours b/c sprinkles make everything better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Alisa - snow ice cream looks delicious! I've got plenty of snow outside I could use, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief! I could make gallons and gallons of the stuff. I wonder if I can find some snow that Bridger and Misty haven't found. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandma used to make this for my sister and I. It is yummy! But, I am not sure if it is better than diet coke or not???? I am an addict as well. I had to laugh when you mentioned going out in the blizzard to get one. I actually thought about it several times but could not get my van out of the garage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to see this! I just told my mom that I needed to find a good snow cream recipe. Growing up in FL I never had it, but now that I'm living where there is plenty of snow around I want my kids (and myself of course) to enjoy these fun treats and special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this on Hodge Podge's Facebook wall. We adore snow cream!

    I am a new follower...would love for you to join my Fridays Unfolded linky at http://www.stuff-and-nonsense.net/2011/02/fridays-unfolded-4.html

    Blessings,

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  9. my girls will LOVE this!! so cool! we're expecting another storm next week so i'm going to make sure i have the other ingredients in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... I've never done this, but it sounds so good! I certainly have enough snow around me to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds YUMMY! I wished I lived by snow right now so I could try some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoying my visit. What a darling blog. We make snow cream too! But we've never tried the sweetened condensed milk. Yum. We'll have to try this.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Yummy! Would love for you to add to my Thursday Treasure Party @
    www.the treasurista.blogspot.com

    Thanks,

    The Treasurista
    Finding and Creating FUN things...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your page! I'm new follower, please return the love and follow back. =D

    www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember my mother making this...it was always such a fun treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We LOVE snow ice cream too!
    Your kids will ALWAYS remember you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks so good. I've been looking for a recipe that doesn't use eggs. My daughter will love making this!!

    By the way, I am hosting a giveaway right now that you might be interested in!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!