Thursday, April 21, 2011

Strawberry Cake {with cream cheese frosting}

IMG_3262

Oh, how I do love this cake!

I’ve made it a few times for Easter so I thought I would share just in case someone was looking for an easy, delicious dessert idea for this weekend.

Strawberry Cake 

1 box white cake mix
10oz bag of frozen strawberries {thawed}
1 small package {3oz} strawberry gelatin mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk



In a small bowl, use a fork and mash the strawberries. Set aside 1/2 cup of the strawberries for use in the frosting. Mix the remaining strawberries, cake mix, gelatin mix, eggs, oil and milk together in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.

You can either make a layer cake or a 9x13 cake. If you choose to make a layer cake, grease and flour your cake pans. If you are making a 9x13, cooking spray will work great. Fill your pans and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes for layer cakes and 25-30 minutes for a 9x13. 

Strawberry cream cheese frosting 

8oz cream cheese {softened}
6 Tbsp. butter {softened}
1/2 cup of reserved mashed strawberries
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1.5 lb. powdered sugar

In a mixer, whip the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the strawberries and vanilla. Mix until completely incorporated and fluffy.   With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Add more or less as needed to achieve a nice spreading consistency.

Frost your cooled cake and enjoy!!

this post is linked to: Hodgepodge Friday, A Little Knick Knack, Show and Share Day, Inspiring Creations, Weekend Wrap-up


1-signature

22 comments:

  1. I love Strawberry Cake! It is one of my kids favorites! Awesome picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely yummy! I've got this bookmarked to try soon.

    Cheers,
    Tracy All Thumbs Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uau looks njami! I have to try to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I am a new follower. I am happy that I found your blog.
    Looks yummy
    You can visit me any time.
    http://thisnthatboutiqueblog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisanThatBoutique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this what was at church Wednesday night? Everyone at my table was oohing and ahhing at it but they said it was Cherry! I don't like cherries so I didn't taste it. My favorite fruit on the planet however is strawberry!!! STINK Now I must make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I made this last summer with fresh strawberries but the cream cheese frosting sounds delish. i also made it into a tier cake...the recipe was given to me from a reader!

    stopping by from Hodgepodge friday, come visit when you get a chance
    http://stayingclosetohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm..that looks really good! I love how you used cream cheese frosting. Thanks for the recipe

    Would love for you to join my linky party! http://www.inspiringcreationsblog.com/2011/04/friday-favorites-linky-party_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberry cake is perfect for spring, yum! This look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg my mouth is watering...looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. spotted you at tater tots.....
    this strawberry cake recipe conjures up childhood memories for me. i remember one year when my birthday hit on Easter. Mom made this cake for my birthday party.

    thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a five year old who loves LOVE strawberry, I might have to try this for her birthday cake this summer, thanks for sharing! Found you at tatertots!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These posts are always hard for me to look at since I can't eat them. But let me tell you... It doesn't hurt to dream! YUMMO! I'd like to invite you to share this at my VIP party this weekend. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! I love cake! This looks wonderful!! I'm your newest follower! FOR SURE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks and sounds wonderful! Will make this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definately want to try this one! my husband doesn't like chocolate cake, so I'm always trying to incorporate fruit! I think i'll substitute egg substitute and apple sauce. That way you'll save lots of calories and add more fruitiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MMMM! My mouth is watering! Bookmarking this recipe! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! This looks delicious! :)

    http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just had to tell you that when I tasted it at church Wednesday I wanted to try to make it gluten-free for Abigail because I could tell you had added something to the cake mix to make it so moist. Those kind of recipes usually translate to gluten-free well because it counteracts the dryness most gluten free cakes suffer from. I was thrilled when I checked and you had posted the recipe! I made it for Easter dessert today and it was FABULOUS! I am so excited to have this to add to my gluten-free recipes. Nobody even guessed it was gluten-free. That's always a great sign! Abigail sends many thanks!!

    P.S. In reference to the earlier comment from Shannon... she BEGGED us to say it was cherry so she could resist it. I refuse to take the blame!! ;)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear, this looks amazing. And I'm supposed to be recovering from my Easter all-sugar-all-the-time binge, not digging myself in deeper! I'll have to file this one away for a few weeks from now when I've come out of my sugar-induced coma ;-) Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my, this looks super delicious!! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just found this recipe and I would like to make it for my daughters 3rd birthday this weekend. I have a TON of fresh strawberries from picking this last week. What measurement would you suggest using of mashed fresh berries?
    Thanks for sharing
    alexiscroft2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!