Monday, April 18, 2011

Not your average Chicken Panini {and my menu}

Why does Monday have to come so quickly?
Are your taxes done?
Me too….2 days ahead of time.
That’s early for me.
I’m a bit of a procrastinator.
I need a deadline.
There is always something better to do than taxes, right?

Enough about my issues and onto what I shall feed my fam this week.

Monday~ Grilled chicken and zucchini kabobs with a thai sauce, jasmine rice and grilled pineapple……….and it was super yum :)

Tuesday~ Ham and cheese au-gratin, salad and mandarin oranges {didn’t ever have this last week..it happens}

Wednesday~ Taco salad at church {I think}

Thursday~ Boneless Buffalo Wings {on the recommendation of my friend Shannon} and salad

Friday~ Skillet enchiladas {made by my hubby}, chips and salad

Saturday~ BBQ ribs, scallop potatoes, green beans

Sunday~ Homemade Cinnamon rolls for breakfast, easy sandwiches for lunch and Easter dinner with my family.

**************

I’ve been wanting to share this sandwich with you that we have enjoyed a couple times. I thought you might want to try it next time you have some leftover chicken.

The first time we had these Panini's I used some leftover baked chicken and they were super good. The second time {what is shown in the pics} I used some rotisserie chicken. It was still good, but I really enjoyed the taste of the baked chicken better. I also think grilled chicken would work great. I probably wouldn’t use rotisserie chicken again. just sayin’.

IMG_3087Not your average chicken panini:

Italian or sourdough bread sliced thin
Olive oil
Thousand island dressing
Leftover chicken, chopped up
Coleslaw {creamy, spicy…whatever floats your boat}
Havarti cheese slices {Swiss would work too}

IMG_3049I like to get them all put together before I start the cooking. Lay out the bottom piece of bread for each sandwich and drizzle with olive oil. I spread it around good with my fingers {no better tool created}. Turn each piece over once it’s coated with oil.

IMG_3050On the other side of the bread slices, place some Thousand Island dressing and spread it around good.

IMG_3056Top with your chicken

IMG_3063Next comes a good amount of coleslaw

IMG_3065Finally I top it off with some Havarti cheese slices.

IMG_3068I like this kind, but it can be hard to find sometimes so Swiss cheese will work if that is what you can find.

IMG_3070Top with your final piece of bread and drizzle it with olive oil too. Spread it around really well so it’s all coated.

I like to use my griddle that fits on the stove top. You could also use a cast iron skillet or an electric griddle. Use what you have. It will all taste good in the end.

I use medium heat so the sandwiches don’t cook too fast without heating all the way through. It will take about 4-5 minutes per side.

IMG_3076Once I get them on the griddle, they have to be weighed down. Don’t laugh at my ways. I use what I’ve got and it works for me. I don’t need no fancy smancy panini press.

IMG_3085Look at those grill marks baby {and NO panini press}.

IMG_3089You should really try these. They are delicious!

How about you, do you have any favorite sandwich combos?

this post is linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my tummy Tuesday    

1-signature

6 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! I don't have a panini grill and love your method :) Can't wait to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so yummy! I might have to try these this week! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisa - these definitely do not look like your average chicken paninis! They look so delicious. I don't have a panini press either so I'm glad to see your method - as crazy as it looks! Whatever works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. We dont really have a favorite sandwich, but I'm going to try these. I've made your homemadE cupcakes twice noe and I'm making them on Easter ... They are so good. .

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM, YUM, YUM!

    I would love to invite you to join in on "Made it on Monday" a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog.

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

    *link ups are every WED.-SAT.*

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!