Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge

My sister  is in the midst of The Great Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge.
She has already tried 3 recipes and has another 4 to go {I think}.

IMG_0169She might not be done with her challenge, but I’ve already declared the winner!

I admit that I only tried one of the recipes,
but it is by far the BEST chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever made.
So, to me, it’s the winner.
They are soft and chewy in the middle and crisp on the edges.
just perfect.


Oh, and it’s the weirdest way to make cookies. ever. you’ll see.

America’s Test Kitchen’s Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

14 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cups packed dark-brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
{all of my changes are in orange}

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper {I used my silpat}. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.


2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.


3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain
{I did ALL of this and used a timer}

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.
{I made my cookies a bit smaller and got about 2 dozen from one batch~ I used about 2Tbsp of dough per cookie. They ended up about 4” wide after baking}

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
{that is total nonsense! go ahead and eat one while they are still warm from the oven} 

IMG_0165
You should totally try these, they are so wonderful!

Do you have a favorite recipe for chocolate chip cookies?  share please!



this post is linked to: Weekend Wrap-Up
1-signature

8 comments:

  1. Melting the butter is kind of strange, but I bet browning it gives then a great flavor! I love, love, love the recipe for CCC that came with my kitchenaid mixer. The only thing I do differently is add just a little more brown sugar than it calls for to make them extra chewy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate chip cookies! My favorite recipe is here:
    http://karicorsi.blogspot.com/2011/02/chocolate-chip-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been working hard all day, scraping the floor of our front porch. Im hot, my hands are all blistered and I desperately need a shower. But I would forgo my shower for one of these, they look SOOOOOOOOO good. Thanks for sharing the recipe:)
    xo,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new FAVORITE is here: http://brandyscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/double-chip-cookies.html

    I have only used regular choco chips, and they are the BEST! So glad I tried them!
    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried this recipe before and I have to agree with you, it is the best chocolate chip cookie ever! It is the only one I use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to follow you! It doesn't show your button or a link at the top! ugh! I did follow on pinterest! I am LOVING your blog! I would love it if you stopped by and look around and if you like mine..please follow me too! I will keep checking back! Yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the same recipe I use and I agree, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy.. It's been a while since I last make any cookies. Makes me wanna try this soon..

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!