Monday, February 9, 2009

Desperation dinner aka Cheeseburger casserole

Do you have a meal that everyone likes, is really easy and you almost always have everything on hand? We do and it's the ever so tasty Cheeseburger casserole. I actually had not made it in a long time since I started meal planning and haven't really needed to have a desperation dinner (because I so have it all together these days....uhh...yeah, right?). I decided to put it in the menu plan last week and it reminded me how tasty...and easy it is, so I thought you might like to know how to make it as well. Here's how it goes:  

Cheeseburger casserole  
1lb ground beef  
1 medium onion, chopped  
1 28oz can diced tomatoes (or crushed if you prefer to not have tomato "chunks" that the kids might want to pick out)  
1Tbsp Worcestershire sauce  
1 tsp dried oregano  
1/2 tsp garlic powder  
salt & pepper to taste  
12 oz med-wide egg noodles  
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or we like the mexican blend) 

Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain off any fat. Add beef back to the skillet with onion and cook on medium-high until onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Stir well. Here's mine...pre-stirring. Bring to a boil, lower heat to med-low and let simmer uncovered stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions. Here's where you can choose to either just serve from the skillet or get fancy and put it in a baking dish and bake it for a little while. I actually do mine start to finish in a dutch oven so I only use one dish.  

The "get it on the table in 5 minutes" way: Add your cooked noodles to the meat mixture and stir well. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir well. Cover the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese, put lid on skillet and let sit on LOW heat for about 5 minutes or until cheese is all melty. 
 
The "fancy smancy-I've got all the time in the world" way: In a greased 9x13 baking dish combine the meat mixture, the cooked noodles and 1 cup of cheese. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Stick it in a 350 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Here's mine with the egg noodles added....I love egg noodles. They are yummy just with a little butter on them, don't ya think? Here it is all stirred up with the cheese added and ready for the oven. And voila! Here it is all ready to be scarfed down by my family. We like cheese, probably too much, so we had this with cheesy garlic biscuits and green beans. Yummy! I love any dish that everyone will eat (without complaining) and I almost always have the ingredients. Hope you enjoy! Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday for more great recipes and kitchen ideas.

11 comments:

  1. My husband will love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. And I love egg noodles with a bit of butter, it's the best!!!!! Happy TMTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! My husband and I love things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Might just have to give it a try! :) Going to have use crushed tomatoes though because I got picky eaters when it comes to tomato chunks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like the perfect "go to" recipe! :)

    we would definitely eat this

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really can't go wrong with ground beef and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband would love this as well. Anything with noodles and I'm fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My youngest son is a cheeseburger lover! I'll keep this recipe around for a busy week night! Thanks for sharing your recipe on Tasty Tuesday!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! This looks wonderfully cheesy - and is a perfect healthier and inexpensive alternative to Hamburger Helper.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!