Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Pie

It's been a while since I've posted a recipe. 


Honestly, it takes a little while to post all the pics and you have to actually remember to take the pictures while your making the dish so it just hasn't happened. 


I tried this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago and my family LOVED it. The only thing they wanted to know was why didn't I make more of it. I fixed it again last night and even my daughter who is still sick (found out she has strep this morning) ate it....must be good. 


The original recipe is here if you want to see it. Here's how my version goes:  


Chicken Tortilla Pie 


15 corn tortillas, toasted 
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken) 
2 Tbsp taco or enchilada seasoning 
1 4oz can chopped green chilies 
1½ cups red salsa (or green if you prefer) 
1 cups sour cream (I used light) 
1½ - 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded 
Start by toasting your tortillas. (I do mine on the stove top griddle, but you could also just put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for a few minutes while it's preheating. I also cut mine in half after they are toasted to make layering easier.) Preheat your oven to 375°. Prepare your 9 x 13 dish with non-stick spray. Mix your rotisserie chicken with the taco or enchilada seasoning (I just put it in a big plastic bag and shake it). Begin layering your pie with 5 tortillas, ½ the chicken, ½ the green chilies, 1/3 of the salsa, 1/3 the sour cream and 1/3 the cheese. Add another same as the first and top it off with another layer of 5 tortillas, salsa, sour cream and cheese. I didn't take a picture of each layer, but I think ya'll are super smart and can get the idea. on a side note: does anyone know why my camera keeps making a little blurry spot in the lower right hand corner of all my pictures when I use a flash? ...it's really bugging me! Ready to go in the oven Bake until top is brown and bubbly (about 30 minutes) I covered it with foil that is covered in non-stick spray for the first 20 minutes so the cheese doesn't burn on top. It looks sooooo yummy! I serve it with some extra salsa, chips and some yellow rice. Here's what the inside looks like....it was delicious. Simple too and that counts for a lot around here! 


For more great recipes please visit: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace. Tasty Tuesday at it’s new home - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy’s Recipes Tackle It Tuesday at 5 Minutes For Mom

13 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks like something my hubby would LOVE. Thank you!

    (By the way...you have great taste in blog templates) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great..I printed it!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a keeper! Thanks for sharing.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy and yummy works around here, too! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM-O!!! I'm going to try this!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is definitely one I am going to make. My kids love Mexican, and I have all these ingredients already in the house. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday. :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your pictures, you make it look so easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make a similar dish with black beans and corn, as well. I LOVE it. I never thought of toasting the tortillas though -- brilliant! I need to make this again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my family will really enjoy this. Going to add it to a future menu plan right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm this looks yummy! I love mexican casseroles and this one is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great recipe!!! I am looking forward to making it1!! Seriously, this is just what we like, at my house. Sorry I am just getting around to your TMTT post. It has been a long week. Anyway, thanks for faithfully participating at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, each week.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!