Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teriyaki Chicken

This is one of our go to meals as far as easy, quick and only requires a few ingredients goes. I almost always have everything that's needed to put this one together so it works in a pinch quite nicely....and it's super tasty. 

Hope you like it!  

Teriyaki Chicken 

In a saucepan over medium heat combine:  
½ cup sugar  
½ low sodium soy sauce  
1 minced or pressed garlic clove  
½ tsp. ginger (either fresh, grated or from your spice cabinet)  
pepper to taste  

Side note: did you know that you can keep a piece of fresh ginger in your freezer. Just tightly wrap in plastic wrap to store it. When you need some just peel the little bit you need and grate or chop it and put the rest back in the freezer. It adds a ton more flavor than the dried powdered version. 
Allow this to heat until the sugar is completely dissolved In a small bowl mix together:  
1 Tbsp cornstarch 1 Tbsp water Add to your saucepan and bring to a slow boil until mixture is slightly thickened 

In a 9 x 13 dish or something similar, place up to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, either left whole or cut into smaller pieces. Pour your sauce over the chicken and turn each piece to coat. Cover with foil and place in a 350° oven for about 25 minutes. The time will depend greatly on the size of your chicken (whole, thick, thin, cut up?). Remove the foil the last 5-10 minutes to allow it to brown a little. 

Options: When you remove the foil, you can add a can of drained mandarin oranges or a can of chunk pineapple to the chicken. 

Either are very yummy, but optional. I chose oranges this time. I serve this over brown rice and a side of steamed broccoli or sugar snap peas...and maybe some grapes too. Delicious and easy! Enjoy! PS: I know ya'll are very jealous of our fine dining china and are really desiring a set for yourselves, but I'm sorry Walmart no longer carries this line.  

For more great recipes please visit: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace. Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy’s Recipes Tackle It Tuesday at 5 Minutes For Mom

6 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks delicous !
    Thanks for sharing, have a very blessed Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chinese, but teriyaki is something that I never really do, so I am thrilled to have this. I just did Chinese last night...the lazy way, but I love fresh garlic and ginger, so this is perfect.
    Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such good direction on this recipe. Sounds great. Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves chinese food. We will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this sometimes too and its a family favorite

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and easy. Perfect! (Oh, and I love your note about your Wal-mart dishes. That made me smile.)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!