Friday, February 26, 2010

Ooey Gooey Cheesy Macaroni

IMG_3195


All this cold weather {it just won't stop...please make it stop!} makes me want some yummy comfort food. Something warm, cheesy and ooey, gooey good.

I'm all for the boxed macaroni and cheese {Kraft thick and creamy, please} for lunches and such, but when it comes right down to it, that stuff just can't compare to some homemade macaroni and cheese. It isn't hard to make, just takes a few steps and you'll have yourself a little slice scoop of cheesy heaven.

Ooey Gooey Cheesy Macaroni

3 Tbsp butter
¼ cup flour {see below}
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
dash of Cayenne pepper {or chipotle chili pepper}
1 Tbsp Worsteshire
2 cups of cheese {see below}
8 oz elbow macaroni
1 Tbsp butter {melted}
crackers/bread crumbs/potato chips....or something similar for the topping {crushed}.

First off let's talk cheese! It will make a big difference on how your macaroni turns out. I used to always use some cheddar because that's what my hubby likes. Well cheddar is kinda glumpy when it melts and oily so I don't care for it. Your cheese sauce just won't be as smooth.  I really like Havarti {I ♥ it}, but I only use a little, maybe a ¼ cup or so. You don't have to use it at all, but I like it. Basically you need about 2 cups of cheese. I generally use block cheese and grate it myself because it melts much smoother. Here is how I get to my 2 cups:

3/4 cup Monterrey jack 
1/4 cup Velveeta
1/4 cup Havarti
1/4 cup Parmesan
1/2 cup Colby 

Sounds like a lot, but I almost always have these on hand so it's easy to throw together. If you don't have all these, I suggest using Colby/Monterrey Jack and Parmesan and possibly a little Velveeta for smoothness.

The other thing I use that makes my macaroni super smooth and not grainy/floury tasting is Wondra flour.
It is super fine so it makes your sauce very smooth and creamy with no floury taste.


Ok...on to the recipe:

In a big pot, boil your noodles until just under done and drain and return to pot. 

In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the 3 Tbsp butter and add your flour. Mix well and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add your milk and cook until thickened and bubbly. Add the salt and pepper, Worsteshire, Cayenne pepper. Turn to low and add the cheese and stir until melted. 

Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked noodles and stir until combined. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish.

In a small bowl combine the topping of your choice with the melted butter and stir. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni. {You could also add a little Parmesan to this topping...yum}

Bake at 350° for  approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!

We love this served with Chipotle BBQ chicken and a salad.


IMG_3079

{Obligatory photo of my new niece....sorry, it's the last one for a while....promise! But really, who could blame me? She is just so scrumptious!}


This recipe is linked up to:

13 comments:

  1. Mac and cheese is my daughters favorite food, she does not like the little blue box and I always have to make it from scratch. We have been trying new recipes to get the perfect combo. I will have to try the Wondra flour. I never think the cheese is creamy enough. I agree about the cheddar cheese, she is not a fan of velveeta, but I will have to try the Havarti, Monterey and colby added to some cheddar. Thank you for the great idea! Denise@cottagesisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Havarti is my favorite cheese as well. I highly recommend making a cheese dip out of Pioneer Woman's salsa and some melted havarti. You will be IN LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good I posted it to my facebook page. I will definitely be trying this. My boys all love mac and cheese. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had a late, big lunch and after seeing this mac and cheese and reading the ingredients I've decided I'm hungry again! I love any pasta and mac and cheese is such a comfort food. I WILL by trying this recipe! Thank you for sharing! Nancy's Daily Dish

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy Mac & Cheese, my boys will surely enjoy a few plates of that.

    ***I feel you with the cold weather. It's snowing all day here in my part of the world.I feel like it's an endless winter!

    Thanks for joining and keep warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those 5 cheeses are bound to make this macaroni so wonderful. I just use velveeta and my family loves it. Should I spoil them??? Hmmm. Never knew about Wondra flour either... amazing what we can learn from our blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that looks delicious! I'll definitely have to try this, I wonder if some bleu cheese would work in there too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one dish I can't perfect. Simply because I can't find the right cheese here.. *sad* yours looks so appetizing! I want my share! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY! We love Mac & Cheese! I will have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great new recipe for mac and cheese!! My kids have been asking to have mac and cheese for awhile now - maybe we will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! That DOES look good! Pass me a bowl!

    I'd love for you to come by this week and link up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!