Thursday, March 11, 2010

Quiet

IMG_3899

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3: 3-4

Quiet has never been a word that would really describe me. I am sometimes far too loud and opinionated about things. I speak before I think. My mouth gets me into trouble...often. 

I am working on this verse. Working on making it part of me. 

I understand the outward adornment part....I get that. Don't have it perfected...at all, but I get it. I try to remember it as I spend too much time worrying about my clothes or my hair...ugh!

It's the whole gentle and quiet spirit thing that eludes me. Two of my very best friends are the very definition of "gentle and quiet spirit". I love them both and I know what it's supposed to look like.

I am working on it, asking God for His help so I can be the woman He wants me to be.  I know I can't do it on my own. 



you can find more on quiet here
 

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for that reminder. "A quiet and gentle spirit" is usually NOT what I am when trying to keep my boys quiet so the baby can sleep. Ironic, huh? Lovely placemat peeking out in your photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, it's His work, we just have to be willing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmhmm...working through Lysa Terkeurst's book "Becoming More (than a good Bible study girl)and learning much. It's a day by day walk, in the Spirit, that will get us there. I stumble daily with this because I let "me" get in the way of "Him" working thru a broken vessel. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your blog.
    ~judi ;)
    the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with this one also. I find it so hard to be the version of that God desires of me. I have tried to act like my friends who are by personnality naturally that way and it is not me and i don't end up bring glory to God. I find it is so hard to understand how this should look for someone God made naturally more bubbley and outgoing. Then add to it that by profession I am a hair stylist and the verse just about does me in. I have to say it is one of the ones I struggle with most. So nice to here that other find it hard also.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that I would like to go on and on about this topic shows where I am :) I have been reading and re-reading "Home Schooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit" by Teri Maxwell. This is the opposite of my nature and that book is a great asset to any mom not just home schoolers. She provides great practical ways to remove "peace robbers" from your day to day life. I am far more meek and quiet when I have peace. Thank you for the reminder of what God has called us to, all of us even if it runs contrary to our nature. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on it, asking God for His help so I can be the woman He wants me to be. - That is my prayer as well. And it has been for years. I'm not sure if that means I am failing at it or I am getting it but none the less it is my daily prayer.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!