Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blog reading simplified

How do you read blogs?

When I first became obsessed began reading blogs I had my favorites all bookmarked and I visited each one several times a day to see if they had posted anything new. umm….this took quite a bit of time and was highly unproductive. I’m sure those blogs that got paid for ads on a per view basis loved me, but it was way too time intensive.

After I started my own blog I realized you could “follow” other blogs and get updates in your blogger dashboard. Cool. No more blog hopping.

I finally figured out I could subscribe to a blog even if it wasn’t on Blogger and get the updates in Google Reader. I really like using Google Reader  to keep up with the blogs I follow. I love that everything is in one spot and I can just browse through all the new posts. I also like that I can “star” a post that I like for future reference. 

There are a couple of things I don’t like about Google Reader.

First, there are a lot of great posts out there that I would probably comment on, but I don’t because I can’t from a reader and I’m apparently too lazy to click over to do it. Second, I really enjoy looking at blogs. There are so many that are just beautifully made and I miss seeing them when I use a reader.

In steps the NEXT button to solve my blog reading troubles.  Almost as good as chocolate.

If you use Google Reader, you can now flip through all the new posts by actually visiting the blog. This lets you see the actual blog and leave comments when you want. Yeah! I love this!

It’s super easy to set up your own NEXT button. Here’s how:
 
UntitledGo into your Google reader and click on settings in the upper right hand corner

UntitledGo to Reader Settings
 Untitled

Click on the Goodies tab and scroll down to this

UntitledFind “Put reader in a bookmark”. Click on the highlighted Next button and drag it up to your bookmark/browser bar.

Untitled I use Google chrome, but most browsers have a tool bar of some sort where you can drag the Next button.

When you want to browse through all of the new posts, simply click on the button and it will take you to the next unread post in your reader. Just keep clicking to flip through all the new posts.

The only downfall I’ve found is that you can’t “star” a post this way. I’ve come to rely on my Tumblr page to bookmark ideas I like so it’s not that big of deal to me. This might bother other people so it’s something to consider.

I hope this is helpful to somebody out there. I sure am enjoying flipping through my favorite reads this way.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Alisa. I also used to bookmark sites I liked and checked my favorites about a million times a day to see if they had posted! I haven't tried google reader yet, but I think I might after reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... thanks for this post. I hardly ever go to my Google Reader because I do like to be able to leave comments. Maybe I'll try this this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just wonderful. I hope you don't mind me linking to this post on my blog for others to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this - I came via Bec and have already changed my way of reading.... much easier now
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alisa! I'm going to add this to mine but if you come up with a way to do that on an iPhone, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love this! You are brilliant! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I love this but also use google chrome so don't have the bookmarks bar so can't use it, but i discovered an add-in for chrome called google reader notifier that kind of does an almost similar thing.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!