Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Homemade English Muffins

I’m not really a huge fan of traditional English muffins, but my hubby is so I decided I would try and make some at home versus buying the ones laden with corn syrup and trans fat.

IMG_9142I made mine a bit too small so we ended up with approximately 35 of them. They are well over half gone in less than 48 hours so I would say they are definitely a hit.

English Muffins

2 cups milk {warm, not hot~ about 110 degrees}

1 Tbsp dry yeast
2 Tbsp sugar


1/3 c. olive oil
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
6-7 cups flour
corn meal for dusting

I like to proof my yeast so I don’t waste my ingredients if its bad so I start out by adding the yeast and sugar to the warm milk.
IMG_9046Let it sit for about 10 minutes and it should like be all perky and bubbly like this. 
 
In a large mixing bowl combine the yeast mixture, olive oil, eggs, salt and about 5 cups of flour. I used my stand mixer for this. Once it’s combined add flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough clears the side of the mixer. I added all 7 cups plus a little, but it will depend on your flour, weather, etc.

IMG_9058I kneaded this in my mixer for about 6 minutes on medium speed. Knead longer if doing it by hand. Once your done kneading, transfer the dough to a large greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Stick it in a warm spot and let rise.

IMG_9066
Once your dough is double in size sprinkle your counter with corn meal and place dough on it. 

IMG_9071Using your hands, press the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using about a 3” circle cutter {I used a biscuit cutter and it was really too small, but it worked} cut out your muffins. 

IMG_9075Place on the counter or a cookie sheet to rise for about 10-15 minutes. They should be not quite double in size.  Don’t leave them too long or they will be very difficult to bake all the way through without burning.

IMG_9077Heat your griddle to about 300 degrees. Mine doesn’t have a temp setting since it goes on my stove burners so I just set them on Med-low.  You don’t want the heat too hot or they will get too dark before they cook through. I used my griddle and my cast iron skillet. Both worked just great!

Cook them for about 8 minutes per side. Possibly a little longer if yours are bigger than mine. 
 IMG_9133

{ignore all the stuff in the background…..keep your eyes on the prize people!}

There ya have it.
A delicious breakfast treat.


Fry up one egg, fold it in half, top with a smidge of grated cheese on a toasted muffin. yum.
These are very good and I would encourage you to try them. They were easy to make and so much tastier than any store bought ones.

I will say that if you are looking for a true English muffin with tons of airy holes and a spongy texture this one might not fit the bill for you. They are a little more dense.


If you are looking for a spongy texture with lots of nooks and crannies I would suggest you try out Alton Brown’s recipe. It looks good, but I don’t have the rings to make them. Once I amass enough of the rings, I will definitely give them a try.

Enjoy!

this post is linked to Raising Homemakers
  


4 comments:

  1. YUUUUUUMMMMMMM I am going to have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really fun to make! And the egg sandwich looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look DELISH!! I am hoping to try to whip up a batch! Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuuuummmmmy!!!! I haven't made
    English muffins in forever. Today is the day, because I am sooooooo very grateful to get to stay home and be HOMEMAKER today (meaning, no library sub calls). My husband will kiss me to pieces when he smells the aroma of one of his favorite reasons for spun honey! thank you.... off to the kitchen, hi ho hi ho...

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!