Friday, November 19, 2010

Fresh Fruit Friday

IMG_0684

Our local Sutherlands hardware store has Fresh Fruit Friday the Friday before Thanksgiving and the Friday before Christmas. They haul in tons of beautiful fresh fruit and sell it off at low low prices.

I always try to go.

you know….if I remember.

Josiah has no preschool on Friday and our homeschooling is pretty limited on Friday so I hadn’t even showered yet this morning when I realized……

Aaack, it’s Fresh Fruit Friday…..we must go! No time to make my self presentable. oh well, people won’t mind because they won’t be looking at me anyways. Not with all that pretty fruit to look at and all.

I think we did pretty well. I was a little disappointed they didn’t have any Gala apples this year. Can’t have everything, I suppose. Here is what I did get:

10lb bag of russet potatoes {not shown}
1 Big ol’ pineapple
7lb Fuji apples
2lb Tangerines
10lb Red delicious apples
4lb Sweet potatoes
2.5lb Pears
2 Big grapefruits
4lb Bananas
5lb Granny smith apples

All for $25…pretty good, I think.

I also picked up some roasted peanuts {in the shell} as well as some raw peanuts to make some homemade peanut butter…..num :)

I’ll be making lots of homemade applesauce and a pan of
these apple bars with the granny smith apples. I’m also making sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. It’s a Paula Deen recipe and it has apples, sweet potatoes and dried cranberries in it. Seriously looking forward to it.

If you have Sutherland’s Hardware stores in your area you should so go snag yourself some fruit today.

this post is linked to frugal fridays 

Lastdayfreshmanyear-2 (1)



6 comments:

  1. WOW! I didn't know Sutherlands did this! You got a lot of stuff for a GREAT price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuum!! I love fresh fruit. What a fantastic price for such a huge amount of fruit!

    I looked up Sutherlands, and unfortunately, the closest is 115 miles away. Booo :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I was planning to go this morning but completely forgot! And I was thinking they had it every Friday until Christmas. I guess not! Darn. I went last year but went late in the day and most of the good stuff was gone. They did have Louisburg cider but the lady in front of me grabbed the entire case just as I was headed for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous!! I had no idea! That would have been awesome. I guess I'll have to set my calender for the Fri before Christmas. What a great treat in the midst of cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a lot of fruit! But it looks so delicious. We don't have a Sutherlands near us, but man, I wish we did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kinda late in reading this post.. but what a great deal. We have a Sutherlands near us but I had no idea they did this. Will have to check it out?

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!