Monday, March 16, 2009

Peasant bread

I am the VERY first person to admit that yeast breads are not my forte in the kitchen. I am impatient with the whole kneading, waiting in a warm area...blah, blah, blah! 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to eat the stuff, but it's just not my thang. Seriously, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have successfully made a batch of "good" dinner rolls. 

I have tried many times, but it has led to far too many disappointments. Well, I tell ya this is the recipe for me and anyone else who suffers as I do. 

It is fabulous and the best part is you totally don't deserve it, because you have done so very little to make it happen. 

If I can do this, so can you or maybe even a 5 year old...not kidding! 

Try it and you'll see. 

I found the recipe on Recipezaar and it's a little bit of an artisan kinda bread...so yum! 

We had Cheesy potato soup for dinner and it went very well together. Eric thought it reminded him of the bread they use for sandwiches at Schlotzky's. I just thought it was delicious and so did the kids (except Josiah...he won't eat bread unless it's got pb&j on it). We made 2 loaves and only about a 1/2 of one is left. Here's the recipe  

Peasant bread
  • 1 pkg active dry yeast (I used rapid rise)
  • 2 cups warm water, divided
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp melted butter or olive oil
  • any toppings you might like
1. Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.  
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. ( I used my mixer, but you don't need to at all)  
3. Add the yeast mixture and remaining 1 cup of warm water; stir until combined. Here's mine: Very lumpy, gumpy, gooey and sticky....that's just perfect! 4. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. (About 1 hour).  
5. Stir dough down.  
6. Divide in half (it's very sticky so I just kinda pour it out, one half at a time) 
7. Place each half in a greased 1 quart round casserole or ovenproof bowl. (my pans are bigger than called for so my loaves are a little shorter and wider than they should be, but it doesn't really matter..my hubs likes the extra surface area...more crust)  
8. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with topping. ( I used olive oil w/ Parmesan cheese and a little Italian seasoning on the left one, the other I brushed with butter and sprinkled on some steakhouse seasoning...both yummy) Here they are after I divided them and topped them (just stating the obvious). 9. Let rise in a warm place until doubled; about 45 minutes. 10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.  
11. Remove from pans to cool (do this as soon as they come out or your crust will get soggy in the pan). It's a very airy light bread that has a hint of sweet, but is savory at the same time.  
Visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday & Tackle it Tuesday for more great recipes and kitchen ideas.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been decades since I made bread (really). I don't mind the kneading, but what really challenges me is getting the yeast to dissolve and do its thing. How do you prepare your yeast? Thanks in advance for any help.

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I'm not a yeast bread maker either, so this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general, I am scared of dry active yeast. Couldn't tell ya why! Probably because I've never been successful with it. But I will take your word, and try this because that bread looks GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great recipe! I have never had much luck with bread, so I could really relate to your post! I'll print this out and give it a try on a day when I'm feeling like a "good cook!" :-)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. I LOVE bread, but I've never made any from scratch because I'm afraid I'll mess it up. I'm glad to know there are others who are scared of yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love a good, flavorful bread. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!

    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. My mom used to make the BEST dinner buns, but everytime I've tried her recipe they never turn out.
    I'm going to give this one my best effort...maybe I'll get my five year old to help too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you with yeast breads! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love homemade bread and am always looking for easy recipes to make it! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe we can start an anti-kneading bread club. I just found a great no knead multi-grain bread and fell in love with the idea of not have to have it on the counter at the right temp or kneading it enough.

    Thanks for this recipe. My husband will thank you too after this current loaf of brick bread is gone:).

    Try my pita bread recipe it was so much fun to make and there was no kneading!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!