Monday, March 15, 2010

Mexican Pork Bowls {Chipotle Burrito Bowl Knock-Off}

I know I say this A LOT, but this really is one of our family's MOST FAVORITE meals.....ever! In fact, this is the meal that we were eating the other night when Corban got in trouble for trying to race through prayer time to get to THE FOOD!

porkbowl

I can't tell you the # of times I've tried to get photos to post this recipe. I've accidentally deleted them once and forgotten to take them a couple times...uugh. I finally have them so here it is....you will want to make this...promise.

Mexican Pork Bowls
2-3lbs Pork tenderloin, cut into large pieces with silver skin removed
1/2 cup water
2-3 cloves garlic minced
7 oz can diced green chilies
1/4 cup chipotle sauce/salsa/marinade* {see below for info}
white rice
1/2 bunch of cilantro chopped
lime juice {from a real lime}
Toppings


porkbowl2
Place your pork tenderloin in a crockpot on low. Mine is still sorta frozen..that's ok.

IMG_4002
Add the green chilies, garlic cloves, chipotle sauce and the water. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. 

porkbowl1
If you use a well trimmed pork tenderloin all you will need to do is break up the meat with a pair of tongs and it is ready to devour. 

In a saucepan, cook your white rice {minute or long grain} we usually do about 3 cups of minute rice for 6 servings. 
rice
I add my cilantro to the water at the same time I add the rice to cook. It will stay on top, but all the rice will be flavored. You will just mix it in when you fluff your rice after cooking. 
You can add some lime juice to your rice water while cooking, but I think it makes the rice sticky so we use our lime juice at the table to squeeze over the top of our pork and rice. 

We generally serve with some shredded cheese, this salsa, sour cream and some guacamole. 

It's a little bit of Mexican heaven. 


* The only hard part of this recipe is finding the Chipotle sauce. Every time I find one, the stores stop carrying it. Herdez makes one as well as a couple other companies. It is just a smooth sauce, not a salsa, but you could use one in a pinch. I have also use a Baja Chipotle marinade before as well and it turned out fine. I also think you could just up the water a bit and add a tsp or so of this magic stuff.

IMG_1030

You could even just chop up a couple Chipotles in adobo sauce and call it good...whatever you need to do to make sure the flavor is there....DO IT!

This recipe is linked up to:

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. My pork repertoire is quite limited. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just licked the screen.

    For real.

    This looks so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This meal just looks incredible. I seriously will have to put this on the menu for next week....I KNOW my family is going to love this! Thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - this looks unbelievable! There's not much I love more than Mexican food. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks so good, something me and my family would love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so easy and we would love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to copy the Chipotle burrito bowl and this is a great start. Thanks for sharing
    DomesticProductions15.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oohh, yum! Love new meal ideas and my family loves Mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This will quickly become a favorite by my family. I can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no words for how delicious and EASY that looks! I'm speechless. Good food does that to me. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks sooooooo delicious! I think I will have to try it:)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!