Monday, November 15, 2010

Menu plan week of 11-15-2010

Morning friends! I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately on my less than enthusiastic attitude about meal planning and cooking dinner lately. What to do, what to do?

Have any of you ever tried the once a month cooking technique? Also referred to as freezer cooking. I have 3 cookbooks with all freezer recipes {because
I’m slightly obsessive} so I thought I might give it a try.

Now I need to come up with an entire day to dedicate to cooking. 

It’s better than every night…….right?

My kitchen isn’t very big so the idea of trying to cook everything on one day seems a bit much, but I’m willing to give it a try. And what better time to try than the holidays. Time always seems so fleeting this time of year so knocking a big thing like making dinner every night off the list is quite appealing.

All that said, I was SO very excited when I opened my email this morning to find today’s
Groupon. It’s for Social Suppers, a place where you go and make up meals to take home and freeze for later. I’ve always wanted to try this, but it seemed a bit too pricey for me.

However, with today’s
Groupon {in Kansas City anyway, check your city for your local deal of the day} it is only $35 for $70 worth of meals. Yeah! half off….sign me up! They have locations in Leavenworth, Lenexa and Prairie village so go check it out. You only have today to sign up, but the coupon is good until May so you have plenty of time to use it. Anybody want to go make your meals with me? I’ll be going to the Lenexa location….very soon.

***Update: Apparently, the Social Suppers deal is already sold out, I hope you got one if you wanted it.

Since I obviously won’t have all my freezer meals ready today and I still need to feed my family this week, here is what I plan on making:

Monday: 
Ranch Style Chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans

Tuesday: Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and garlic bread

Wednesday: BIG Thanksgiving dinner at church….yum!

Thursday:
Chicken and wild rice soup  

Friday: Tacos, refried black beans and mexican rice 

Saturday:
BBQ meatballs, mashed potatoes and corn  

Sunday:
Terriyaki chicken {in the slow cooker}, brown rice and sugar snap peas

What are you going to cook up this week?

Do any of you do freezer cooking?

This post is linked to orgjunkie  


Lastdayfreshmanyear-2 (1)

5 comments:

  1. MMmmmm, Alisa your menu sounds wonderful. I haven't done the feezer meals for a month but I'm willing to try anything so let us know how it goes. I do double some recipies that I know freeze well so I have it for another time.
    I also make a weekly menu and I post it on my blog wwww.craftybalancing.blogspot.com . I might just have to link back to you on my menu next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, I found a link to a new blog on the House of Smith's blog today (and I will be linking it up to my blog as well 20somethingdesigns.blogspot.com) but it's a lady who makes all 5 meals for the week in just 1 hour! I'm totally spreading the word for this! It's a GREAT idea and thought you would like to know about it considering your post on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisa, I have done the freezer meals for one month. For me it was a huge job I don't want to undertake again. And by the end of the month I was sick of freezer meals. You may want to try the 5 meals for one week in an hour before you try 1 month. I have doubled recipes and froze one and ate one.That wasn't too bad. For me it just works better to have a monthly plan and go from there.Keep us updated on what you try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Pioneer Woman - went to her book signing last year and I love her meatballs and maple cinnamon rolls recipes. That Ranch Style Chicken looks really good. I do dinner with a very loose schedule of menus in my head but it seems like a pretty good idea to write everything down and actually be organized! And I always try to make extra so I can freeze some for those nights I don't want to cook so I'm definitely into the freezer method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, everything sounds so yummy! I love Groupon. I have been purchasing lots of deals lately. :)

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! I reply to your comments through email, so if you'd like me to be able to reply, please include your email address in your blogger profile. Thanks!